Why become a member? ×

Rack Cases + Effects

Eight

I've kinda decided I want to go down to the rack route in replacing my "tuner" - which deserves the quotation marks due to being crap.

But I don't understand all this rack stuff - if I wanted to get something like a Gator hard plastic portable rack thing with enough space for the tuner and a compressor/limiter/gate device (which I'd like to get to later), how do I go about actually getting the right size?

I'm assuming 2U, 3U etc. refers to the number of device units that can go in there??? But then they seem to be different heights and depths etc. and I'm just lost. :)

Any help much appreciated at this point.

Edited by Eight

The units will have their size on the spec in Us so most compressors* and tuners will be 1U and you'll need a 2U case to put them in. The depth varies too though, and I don't think this is as simple.

EDIT: *Cheap compressors!

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' post='784530' date='Mar 24 2010, 11:30 AM']The units will have their size on the spec in Us so most compressors* and tuners will be 1U and you'll need a 2U case to put them in. The depth varies too though, and I don't think this is as simple.

EDIT: *Cheap compressors![/quote]

Its not only cheap comps that are 1u as it goes :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='784530' date='Mar 24 2010, 12:30 PM']The units will have their size on the spec in Us so most compressors* and tuners will be 1U and you'll need a 2U case to put them in.[/quote]
Just to clarify, and this will sound stupid, but if a tuner/compressor is 1U then you suggest a 2U case because I'm getting two units. Not because a 1U device requires a 2U case?

So is the U value the height of the thing? Then the depth varies so best I can do is look at some possible purchases and give myself a bit of room on the depth of the case I choose?

The U is the measurement in the height of rack equipment in 1 3/4-inch units.

1U = 1 3/4-inches (44.45mm)

2U = 3 1/2-inches (88.9mm)

3U and above can be worked out.

The U measurement is an international standard and has its origins in the 1920.

Rack cases come in many depths. I use 400mm and 500mm for amps however this is too deep for tuners and compressors, etc which tend to be quite shallow. I have seen Effects cases that are 300mm deep and less.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='51m0n' post='784560' date='Mar 24 2010, 11:56 AM']Its not only cheap comps that are 1u as it goes :)[/quote]
Of course! I just couldn't think of a cheap one that's 2U

[quote name='Eight' post='784575' date='Mar 24 2010, 12:19 PM']Just to clarify, and this will sound stupid, but if a tuner/compressor is 1U then you suggest a 2U case because I'm getting two units. Not because a 1U device requires a 2U case?

So is the U value the height of the thing? Then the depth varies so best I can do is look at some possible purchases and give myself a bit of room on the depth of the case I choose?[/quote]

Yeh, basically.

Cheers for all the info and comments chaps - I think I'm beginning to get a good idea of what I'm after.

[quote name='obbm' post='784580' date='Mar 24 2010, 01:26 PM']I use 400mm and 500mm for amps however this is too deep for tuners and compressors, etc which tend to be quite shallow. I have seen Effects cases that are 300mm deep and less.[/quote]
When you say "too deep", do you mean it's a problem putting them in if they're too shallow for the case?

I'm currently looking at

Gator GR-2L - 2U rack case with front and rear rack mounts, heavy-duty butterfly latches, lightweight polyethylene construction. Dimensions: 165 x 558 x 569mm (19"/2U). Internal depth: 477mm. Weight: 4.6kg

&

Korg DTR-1000 BL chromatic tuner - automatically detects the note name and accurate pitch, seven semi-tone flat tuning support, two types of display: cents or strobe and adjustable calibration of 438-455Hz. Dimensions: 1.81 x 18.94 x 4.45 inches (HxWxD). Weight: 3.09lbs.

Compressor-wise, I don't have a clue since it would be a while before I bought one. But maybe the Alesis 3630, which is apparently 19"x1.7"x4.5".

Would I be better off with something like

Gator 2U Shallow Rack Case
# Units (rack): 2U
# Depth: 14.25''(Rackable depth)
# Interior Front Rail to Rear Rail Distance: 12"
# Interior Front Rail To Rear Lid: 14.25"
# Interior Lid Depth: 2.25"
# External Dimensions: 22" x 16.75" x 7"
# Material: Polyethylene
# Colour: Black
# Weight: 4.5kg / 9.92 lbs

Since I don't plan to be putting any kind of amp heads in there - I just want a tuner and compressor/limiter/gate package in a sturdy, portable rack.

[quote name='andyjingram' post='784774' date='Mar 24 2010, 04:11 PM']It wouldn't cause a problem- you would just have wasted space at the back. If you aren't going to fill either case, you might as well not fill the slightly smaller, slightly lighter one! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Hahahaha cool. And it gives me somewhere to hide my wallet. :)

Cheers Andy, and everyone actually.

I think I'm good to get my order in... and have learned a bit in the process. Thank you.

(Good job I asked as well or this could have gone quite wrong. :lol:)