Why become a member? ×

My home project finished!

pietruszka

Claypool has one so thought why not? Its abit of fun and our rapper loves it! It will be played in some of our grim tracks hopefully.

This started off as a 4 string I made in college, and it was modified to this item of insanity!

Swamp ash body, maple neck and ebony fingerbourd. 1 half of a precision pup with 1 tone and 1 volume pot.

Dan

Hey!

The handle is made out of rosewood, the machine head is mounted as you would expect it to and the lates are pretty much self explanitory (sp?). Hopefully this pic will make it clearer.
I have put a stop to prevent the lever going over the top. This is just above the plate in the pic. Its nothing special but it does work.

Thanks for the interest and comments!

Dan

[quote name='cheddatom' post='784840' date='Mar 24 2010, 04:14 PM']That's ace. I saw Les playing his a few weeks ago. I'd love one! How did you do the fingerboard?[/quote]

Was that at Koko? I saw that show and it was awesome!

The fingerboard is glued on, the whole thing was originally a fretless bass and It wasnt the nicest of things to play, the neck was very wide and it was top heavy. So! Out came the circular saw!

Dan

[quote name='pietruszka' post='784958' date='Mar 24 2010, 06:23 PM']Was that at Koko? I saw that show and it was awesome!

The fingerboard is glued on, the whole thing was originally a fretless bass and It wasnt the nicest of things to play, the neck was very wide and it was top heavy. So! Out came the circular saw!

Dan[/quote]

Yeh, Koko, it was amazing. A few guys on here went, there was a thread about it somewhere.

So you basically got an old fretless bass and cut the wings off and put the whammy bit on the top? I'm really thinking about making one.

[quote name='Buzz' post='785401' date='Mar 25 2010, 01:38 AM']Complete side note but you need to buy a soldering iron stand :) Even the 4.99 one from maplins is better than resting it on a tool box.[/quote]

My iron has a hook on the handle which I use to hang it on my mug.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='785974' date='Mar 25 2010, 04:06 PM']So you basically got an old fretless bass and cut the wings off and put the whammy bit on the top? I'm really thinking about making one.

My iron has a hook on the handle which I use to hang it on my mug.[/quote]

Yeah it was an old fretless I used, one I made at college. Got the longest section I could out of the body and trimmed enough off the neck from either side. I used the electronics to.

I recommend doing it! Its great frun and such a laugh!
If you had the iron in the mug you could keep your tea hot!

Dan

Edited by pietruszka

[quote name='cheddatom' post='786728' date='Mar 26 2010, 10:49 AM']Is the whammy bar on a spring?

Sorry for all the questions but since you've posted it i've been searching for some sort of project guide and I can't find anything![/quote]

I dont mind the questions! Ask away! The whammy handle isnt on a spring, it uses the tension from the string.

Ive used an A string and detuned it to roughly the minor 3rd below. Its surprisingly hard to play melodies on it but its great as a purcussive instrument.

Dan

You can get it done in a long weekend if you blast it. It took me a couple of weeks but ive had soo much on otherwise. Honestly its soo worth doing!

I got an order for one last night to!! Im planning on making the next one out of one piece of wood rather than a few sections.

If you need to know owt more, just ask.

Dan

MB1. :)
That looks great! any soundbites?...ive seen Mr Claypool use this on Simon says! played with a drumstick they sound great!.Have considered making one myself a Metal bodied one...havent got round to it though!
...Cheddatom...Its called a whamola ...check out whamolalab.com for more on this.

[quote name='MB1' post='787323' date='Mar 26 2010, 07:56 PM']MB1. :)
That looks great! any soundbites?...ive seen Mr Claypool use this on Simon says! played with a drumstick they sound great!.Have considered making one myself a Metal bodied one...havent got round to it though!
...Cheddatom...Its called a whamola ...check out whamolalab.com for more on this.[/quote]

I knew the name but I still can't find any sort of "project guide". It can't be too hard anyway.