Why become a member? ×

'classic series' 50's precision bass

cameltoe

I fancy trading in my Mexican P for another P, and as well as the CV series squiers, I've also just noticed these.

They seem to retail around £480- £520 ish. They have a maple neck, which is awesome, and they have fiesta red! Are they similar to the road worn series? I can see they're alot cheaper but they're both made in mexico right? So what's the difference?

Any words of wisdom towards me trading an '08 mexican standard for one of these would be appreciated.

I had one for a about a week a couple fo years ago. Its a very nice bass, looks much more expensive than it is and sounded great, if your looking for that classic tone.
I only had two issues with it. The first (minor) one was the neck pocket wasn't tight. In fact i could get a credit card down one side. Im sure it wouldn't have been a big problem though.
What made me send it back was the neck felt huge to my hands. I was coming from a 55-01 5 string but i just found the P to be very uncomfortable.

But thats probably just me though as its really not that big.

Edited by dave_bass5

show us a link of the basses you are talking about, except the CV Precision '51, I know that one already, as I have said before I tried the Jap reissue 51 as in the pic below and a Sting one too (pic further down) and I still preferred the CV and money was not a problem. It was the quality of the CV that prevailed.

[size=3][b]The Classic '51 Reissue (JAP) £639[/b][/size]

[size=3][b]The Stink £619 [/b][/size]

[quote name='bass5' post='781575' date='Mar 21 2010, 12:22 PM']show us a link of the basses you are talking about, except the CV Precision '51, I know that one already, as I have said before I tried the Jap reissue 51 as in the pic below and a Sting one too (pic further down) and I still preferred the CV and money was not a problem. It was the quality of the CV that prevailed.

[size=3][b]The Classic '51 Reissue (JAP) £639[/b][/size]

[size=3][b]The Stink £619 [/b][/size]

[/quote]

This one

[url="http://www.fender.com/uk/products/search.php?partno=0131702367"]http://www.fender.com/uk/products/search.p...rtno=0131702367[/url]

GAK have them at £478

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/68234"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/68234[/url]

Nice huh?

Would this be a chunkier neck than the Standard P then?

I have played one of these, and to my mind, it felt like a standard P neck. I use an Aerodyne P, which has a Jazz neck, so there was quite a difference between the two - But it still felt really comfortable.

The sound was very traditional P bass.

Construction was very good, no gaps between the neck and body.

Essentially looked, felt and played great, with a really low action.

I really am tempted by that Honey Blonde one.

[quote name='bass5' post='781635' date='Mar 21 2010, 01:27 PM']Yes she is gorgeous, I was tempted too, I was very peed off that it didn't feel or sound better than my Squier.[/quote]

True that may be, but my local music shop sells the CV Squiers at £389 now, so they're hardly a budget line anymore. Kinda need to be good for that price. My mexican P was £379 last year.

Fiesta red or Honey blonde are gorgeous.

I wonder what the real differences are between this and the Road Worn? I played one the other day, for sale at £899. Is it just one like this thats been left in the rain and had a belt sander put over it?

[quote name='cameltoe' post='781651' date='Mar 21 2010, 01:48 PM']True that may be, but my local music shop sells the CV Squiers at £389 now, so they're hardly a budget line anymore.[/quote]

Depends where you shop, I've got mine from Nevada as a phone deal (best way to shop in my views) and I haggled it down to £234 bear in mind their retail price was and still is now £299 incl free next day delivery

[url="http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Bass_Guitars/Bass_Guitars/Bass/sc1114/p7144.aspx"]http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Bass_Guitars/...1114/p7144.aspx[/url]

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='781674' date='Mar 21 2010, 02:37 PM']Thats pretty steep. GAK have the CV P basses for around £260[/quote]

Right! Which is exactly how I managed to get mine down to £234 when I told them a few shop were selling them for under £250 they said ok I'll do it for you for £234 I said oh yeah, I'll have some of that.

Phone Nevada they are soft! :)

Edited by bass5

This is the "Classic" Series 50's I'm after. Stunning bass. I've played one and loved the feel of it. The pickup wasn't up to a deal, though. Very poor output, but I'd replace it quite quickly with a Wizard Thumper. The original style thick neck feels great and they actually bothered to finish it with a lovely lacquer job which makes me happy, at any rate!

Got one myself at home, undoubtably one of the best basses I've played. Action is amazing, stays in tune for ages, an absolute pleasure to play. My only complaint is that the scratchplate doesn't always photograph well...looks a bit tacky in some photos. In real life, it looks absolutely gorgeous.

[attachment=45311:DSCF2797.JPG]

The scratchplate looks pretty good there...flash photography tends to make it look washed out.

Go back 20yrs and the pre-runner from MIJ Fender was my first bass

I still have it and still play it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, in my humble opinion the jump from MIM Standard to MIM Classic is as big a jump as Squier affinity to VM Series. They are that good. Mine was SERIOUSLY abused over the years as I owned it in the bad old days before I cared about looking after gear so the mods are because of mistreatment - this bass is great stock! The MIM Classics also seem pretty consistant from the bunch I've played

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='781814' date='Mar 21 2010, 05:17 PM']Go back 20yrs and the pre-runner from MIJ Fender was my first bass

I still have it and still play it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, in my humble opinion the jump from MIM Standard to MIM Classic is as big a jump as Squier affinity to VM Series. They are that good. Mine was SERIOUSLY abused over the years as I owned it in the bad old days before I cared about looking after gear so the mods are because of mistreatment - this bass is great stock! The MIM Classics also seem pretty consistant from the bunch I've played[/quote]

That's awesome. Great response and good to know. Helped me make up my mind anyway. The MIM Standard will be traded for a Classic! Now.....Honey Blonde or Fiesta Red??

[quote name='Telebass' post='781652' date='Mar 21 2010, 01:50 PM']...yes, the Road Worn is a reliced version of this bass.[/quote]

Woah so literally £400 extra to have it dragged across the factory floor and pay a mexican to drill a couple random holes?

I'll do it myself!

[quote name='cameltoe' post='781942' date='Mar 21 2010, 07:01 PM']That's awesome. Great response and good to know. Helped me make up my mind anyway. The MIM Standard will be traded for a Classic! Now.....Honey Blonde or Fiesta Red??[/quote]

Happy to help. Both are awesome finishes - I wish I had that choice back in 1990. :) On the 50s they are a flatter neck profile to the standards. I like it but it may take a few minutes to adjust if you are used to a modern profile