Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics Polytune

Gunsfreddy2003

Just bought one these yesterday and used it at a gig last night and have to say what a fantastic tuner it really is, very, very accurate and the polytune function is amazing and great for guitar or bass players.

Think that I will keep my Behringer rack tuner just for the light now!

Mark

Hi Max,

I sold my 5 string recently so can't help on that one I am afraid!

Our guitarist used it and it worked perfectly so no reason to suspect that it would not be less than perfect.

I thought it was pretty well priced too.

Mark

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='781010' date='Mar 20 2010, 06:28 PM']Thanks Mark for the mini-review.

Do you know how the [i]polytune[/i] tracks with a 5/6 string?

Max[/quote]

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='783279' date='Mar 23 2010, 12:12 PM']Anybody who is in need of a decent tuner pedal, watch the classifieds, I have a feeling there will be many TU-2s suddenly going up for sale![/quote]

Definitely. I bet ebay has a fair few. Did anyone upgrade to the TU-3 instead of this?

Max, it tracks fine with a 5 string (mine is EADGC). The accuracy is better on the strobe tuner in chromatic mode, but those with less discerning ears would not notice.

I understand it would likely be done with FFT (fast fourier transform) technology to identify frequencies, but the issues I see would crop up in determining the identified frequencies as specific harmonic components of particular strings (e.g. the B string fundamental could be confused with/masked by upper 5th harmonic of the E string; sharp G string fundamental could be confused with upper major third harmonic of E string, etc). Very clever stuff anyway, the way they've managed to do it.

By the way, whilst it may seem only seem to shave seconds of tuning when you first get it, you can get a lot quicker with a bit of practice. Tuning a guitar with a Floyd Rose trem that is massively out is a piece of cake now!

Mine arrived yesterday. Had a quick play with it. My word its simple and quick to tune when using it string by string. Not so sure about the playing all strings at once option as it shows five lights on my four string Precision???? Maybe I should read the manual (can never be @rsed to do that!)

[quote name='mcgraham' post='785562' date='Mar 25 2010, 10:07 AM']I think you might need to change your profile picture. I genuinely thought to myself 'what on earth has possessed waynepunkdude to buy a polytune...'[/quote]
Its all part of the 'Shirt of Hurt' deal between Wayne and I for Sport Relief (link below). Believe me, it puts me off posting on BassChat :)

[quote name='mcgraham' post='785588' date='Mar 25 2010, 10:30 AM']How long must you/we endure this torture for?[/quote]
Wayne's gig is tomorrow night but mine isn't until 10th April, so another two weeks or so

Believe me, it hurts me more than you!

[quote name='mcgraham' post='785610' date='Mar 25 2010, 10:56 AM']What if my secret Sport Relief sponsorship was to be punched in the face for every day that you have that logo as your profile picture? In that case I think it'd hurt me more than you :rolleyes:[/quote]
I'd give you a tenner :)