Why become a member? ×

What kind of bass/amp/tone...

karlbbb

I don't want a complete rip off, but I like the tone is this vid:

Is this tone likely to actually come from the violin bass? I'm guessing if so it's tuned BEAD as theres a lot of Low C action in here. Would a P bass be my kind of bass to be looking at in future?

Cheers,
Karl

I think that was recorded when he was using TRB's, although with it being a music video, and the wonders you can perform with sound shaping software through a mixing desk in a studio he could have been thumping a Sinclair C5 with a fistfull of rotting herrings - I cite any "Girl's Aloud" CD for less than perfect examples of this mixing desk sorcery.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='775851' date='Mar 15 2010, 11:38 PM']If Lee Sklar is playing, chances are it will be a Yamaha TRB.[/quote]

Or more likely his 'Frankenbass'-A Charvel body with a shaved Fender Precision
neck,mandolin frets and twin EMG P pickups.

Not really a P-bass sound, IMV...and no way is this a violin bass sound :) :rolleyes: :lol: this has a rear pup bias and wouldn't be hard to get close playing near the bridge of a Jazz 5. But as said, probably a Yamaha, because he is known for playing them.

In my tired stupor I made my orginal post come across a little unclear/uncoherant/rude etc. I do apologise.

What I'm actually after it what kind of elements make up that sound. Is this a typical TRB sound? It sounds really tight in the low notes, and I realise the studio probably helped a little, but I've never managed to get such a nice tone (having played 4 years I still don't know how to make a great tone).

If you have reasonable gear and playing technique then imho all you need is someone experienced to help you EQ your amp to where you play - having a good ear to adjust the EQ to suit the playing environment is really more than half the battle.

[quote name='karlbbb' post='776639' date='Mar 16 2010, 08:04 PM']What I'm actually after it what kind of elements make up that sound. Is this a typical TRB sound? It sounds really tight in the low notes, and I realise the studio probably helped a little, but I've never managed to get such a nice tone (having played 4 years I still don't know how to make a great tone).[/quote]

That's partly picking technique, partly EQ and I would gamble quite a lot of compression. You could get that sound out of any bass with a bridge pup IMO, finger-picking somewhere around the front pup, but you would need to roll off the treble on the EQ and then compress it quite aggressively.

FWIW Warwicks lean towards that kind of sound. But they're certainly not the only basses that can sound like that.

Edited by thisnameistaken

To start with a sound like this...?? hmmm, not so easy.

Depending on your amp, roll off some bass...maybe to about half way, you need low mids to bite, upper mids, around halfway, and roll the treble down. This might help

[url="http://www.aguilaramp.com/tonehammer_settings.htm"]http://www.aguilaramp.com/tonehammer_settings.htm[/url]

You need rear pickup bias and pluck hardish near the bridge. If you have a Jazz like bass, shut off the neck pickup and dial down the presence.
The mids are key, as is the bridge playing, and the bass and treble less important..they should be the final touches..

Oh yes, then work on that touch of the left hard..

Thanks for the replies guys! :)

I have a Harley Benton 6 string at the moment, but the strings are a little dead so I'm not getting as much attack as I could. PLus I'm only playing through an Ashdown Perfect 10. I really need to get a pedal pre-amp/multi-fx and have a proper play with EQ. I think perhaps I'm pushing the mids a little too much coz it always sounds so nasal to me. I appreciate what sounds good in a band context may not sound good on its own etc...I'm actually scared of mids, I don't like the sound of them.