Why become a member? ×

Bugera Amps

jamiesonk666

[quote name='RickIronWitch' post='996233' date='Oct 21 2010, 06:28 PM']Decided to spend a little more and I've gone for the Orange Bass Terror, Its 500 watts RMS compared to the Bugeras 500 watt peak, but does the fact it's only class D change anythin? I hope it's loud enough.[/quote]
Don`t know abt the Terror, though lots of opinion on here that it is plenty loud enough, but my amp is 400 Class D watts into 2 ohms. I use it with one 4 ohm cab, so get abt 280 Class D watts, and my amp is never needed on more than 3, even at gigs.

You should be fine.

[quote name='RickIronWitch' post='996233' date='Oct 21 2010, 06:28 PM']Decided to spend a little more and I've gone for the Orange Bass Terror, Its 500 watts RMS compared to the Bugeras 500 watt peak, but does the fact it's only class D change anythin? I hope it's loud enough.[/quote]

Its its not loud enough then youre either a) hard of hearing and need to see an audiologist or; :lol: you're playing Woodstock with no PA support. :)

This is a seriously loud head

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='997022' date='Oct 22 2010, 01:36 PM']Its its not loud enough then youre either a) hard of hearing and need to see an audiologist or; :lol: you're playing Woodstock with no PA support. :)

This is a seriously loud head[/quote]

Good stuff. I play in a loud band. That's why I was worried. But by the sounds of it I should be fine. Can't wait to dial a nice chrunchy tone.

Bugera are playing a little bit fast and loose with their marketing. Although they proudly proclaim it's a valve amp it actually seems to be a hybrid. If that's the case then the valve part (the preamp) is class A - but then all valve preamps are class A. They give no clues as to what is going on with their power amp at all, not even an RMS figure for the wattage. Given that they've managed to magic up peak output 4 times higher than the RMS output on their '3600' watt monster, it doesn't exactly bode well for this amp.

Class D just means that it uses a switching power supply, and is a proven technology. There's no need to preface the term with 'only' - it's not a rating of an amps quality, and just describes the mode of operation.

Congratulations on the Bass Terror BTW. :)

[quote name='Musky' post='998536' date='Oct 23 2010, 11:23 PM']Class D just means that it uses a switching power supply, and is a proven technology. There's no need to preface the term with 'only' - it's not a rating of an amps quality, and just describes the mode of operation.[/quote]

Class D and switching power supplies (switch mode?) are different things, although they go together for most of the the lightweights. You can have a switching power supply and not be class D, I think the little marks are like that. There can be fun when you have both together and the frequencies they operate at produce a beat tone at an audible frequency (like when you play two notes slightly out of tune and you get a slow modulation thing).

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='998596' date='Oct 24 2010, 02:08 AM']Class D and switching power supplies (switch mode?) are different things, although they go together for most of the the lightweights. You can have a switching power supply and not be class D, I think the little marks are like that. There can be fun when you have both together and the frequencies they operate at produce a beat tone at an audible frequency (like when you play two notes slightly out of tune and you get a slow modulation thing).[/quote]

True that. Should have said power stage, not power supply. :)

[quote name='Musky' post='998536' date='Oct 23 2010, 11:23 PM']Bugera are playing a little bit fast and loose with their marketing. Although they proudly proclaim it's a valve amp it actually seems to be a hybrid. If that's the case then the valve part (the preamp) is class A - but then all valve preamps are class A. They give no clues as to what is going on with their power amp at all, not even an RMS figure for the wattage. Given that they've managed to magic up peak output 4 times higher than the RMS output on their '3600' watt monster, it doesn't exactly bode well for this amp.

Class D just means that it uses a switching power supply, and is a proven technology. There's no need to preface the term with 'only' - it's not a rating of an amps quality, and just describes the mode of operation.

Congratulations on the Bass Terror BTW. :)[/quote]

Thanks for the info. The bass terror is my first piece of serious gear. Cant wait to get my mitts on it

[quote name='jamiesonk666' post='775495' date='Mar 15 2010, 07:29 PM']Hi,
has any body had any dealings with Bugera amps(i know they are to do with behringher(uuuurrgh).Namley the svt rip off.[/quote]

A guitarist mate has the mesa clone combo. After changing the valves its great, the transformer wiring etc is well done, only the valves were ropy. Changed for JJ's and its a great sounding amp. The stock valves, are pretty crap, variable quality (you might get lucky, he didnt!), microphonics, fizzy, the usual. What do you expect they have to make some money?! Trouble is a revalve and bias was pretty pricey. I guess you will need to factor this in. The bass amp is, valve pre, solid state, so should suffer no such and decent ecc83's 12ax7's are pretty cheap if you want to change em. If they use the sample SS amp bits as they do in their poweramps you will have no probs. I know of a PA system, that is used by 4 bands (i.e almost continuous use)that is based on their power amps, its strong ole stuff, but very heavy.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='jamiesonk666' post='775495' date='Mar 15 2010, 06:29 PM']Hi,
has any body had any dealings with Bugera amps(i know they are to do with behringher(uuuurrgh).Namley the svt rip off.[/quote]

Save your money and buy a 20 year old trace elliot peavey or laney it will last longer................

[quote name='Lozz196' post='996632' date='Oct 22 2010, 07:05 AM']Don`t know abt the Terror, though lots of opinion on here that it is plenty loud enough, but my amp is 400 Class D watts into 2 ohms. I use it with one 4 ohm cab, so get abt 280 Class D watts, and my amp is never needed on more than 3, even at gigs.

You should be fine.[/quote]
Further to my above post, now have an Orange Terror, and it is sooooo powerful. At gigs in regular sized pubs, volume & gain have never been on more than 2. Fantastic amp, easy to shift about, great sounds. Lokks a bit like a cross between a radio and a toaster mind, but who cares when it sounds so good.

Wd still be interested to hear one of these Bugera Ampeg-rip-offs though.

[quote name='fryer' post='1038646' date='Nov 27 2010, 11:00 AM']Anyone tried a Bugera Nuke ? So cheap for a, presumaby around 2,000 w amp.[/quote]

Aint no such thing 2000watts my ass I have a QSC power amp 2000rms watts in a rack there is no way you could ever use this on even half bore it makes your fillings bleed, never believe the bollox than most manufacturers put out. there is no way this can put out this kind of watts even if it did it would not do it reliably and not cover the bass frequencies. The QSC weighs 50Kg they are both based on mosfet tech with torrodial transformers! It probably has a massive mid hump in the eq, which just makes you think its loud! You have to pick through the muck they all put out. Most of the design engineering that goes in bass gear, is about how they can make it sound ok and make it cheap. I have just got a well known amp makers wedge bass amp repaired it needed new output transistors, when the amp tech phoned em up they wanted £20 quid for each one! they are 30p each, when he checked the spec they where barely up to the job and made by a low rent company, proper NTE transistors are £3 a piece ten times as much. So thats from a major manufacturer, so can you imagine the quality of components in this job. If you want a cheap amp buy a laney , if you dont like the sound you can always use it as a power amp, They go for pennies on ebay, they a reliable and simply made
I have come to the conclusion there isn't really much money to be made from building quality bass gear probably due to low volumes and good components are hard to come by and expensive. So good gear is only born out of the love that people have for doing it..........