Why become a member? ×

OLP 4 String to 8 String

cd_david

I love stingrays and love 8 strings so........... Im going to turn this

Into one of these,

Just bought the OLP and have ordered Wilkinson sealed tuners and a Schaller 3D 8 string bridge.

I know what i want it to be when i finish, I just hope it works as well as I think :)

ATB

Dave

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='771923' date='Mar 11 2010, 06:11 PM']one thing i would say is that you're probably putting more pressure on the neck if you have those extra strings so you might need to possibly beef up the neck which isn't an easy job but it is possible.[/quote]
Hi EH how do you beef up a neck?

Unless the Stingray neck is particularly wide, or you like a tight string spacing, I think you'll find that the neck will be too narrow. My 8-string bass neck is closer in width to my 5-string basses than even the widest of my 4-stringers and personally when I get around to having a custom 8-string made I'll be looking at a slightly wider neck still.

if you go onto one of the 12 string sites, there was a guy who turned an OLP 5 string into an 12 string bass and a 4 into an 8 so its certainly possible

its on here- if you click on the basses link on the left hand side and then the conversions link near the bottom right of the page it take you to the 12 string version

[url="http://www.12stringbass.net/"]http://www.12stringbass.net/[/url]

Im dubious about this, I honestly dont see the neck being strong enough to hold the tension. Will work fine for a time but eventually its going to really mess it up.

Having said that its still a fantasticly original undertaking and I wish you the best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

If it's good maple on the neck,then it will be fine

Just make sure your neck is tightly screwed to the body

I have 2 B.C.Rich Bich 8 string basses,and their truss rods from that vintage,aren't the best,but both of mine are fine.one of them was under someone's bed for 8 years,strung up with all 8 strings!!!

I don't know why you would want to do it though,the 8 string sound is only novel for about 2 days,then it wears thin,also the price of the strings is shocking,both my 8's are strung as 4's

I wish you all the best with the project if that's what you want to do :)

• 1 month later...

I have had the head stock double end, CNC made plugs inserted to the old holes and then flamed veneers front and back and then gloss lacquered both sides and the back of the neck. This could be easily re drilled back to 4 string or continue with the 8 string conversion. (All work by Dave Wilson Guitars)

Unfortunately now need to sell :)