Why become a member? ×

Not getting booked?

john_the_bass

If you get an enquiry for a gig and the get the old, "oh it's between you and another band" cobblers and a subsequent email that says, "just to let you know that we've decided to go with the other band", do you ever ask why/for feedback and more to the point, actually get a response?

I've had two this year - not really that bothered but suspect it comes down to money (and us being more expensive) rather than anything else.
Edit: I meant to add, on both occasions, I've responded with a polite question to ask what made their mind up in the end, as all feedback helps with future enquiries and helps meet our clients needs better, blah blah blah - I've not had a reponse in both cases (personally I think this is a bit rude as I make sure I reply to emails even if to acknowledge their receipt).
Just wondered.

Edited by john_the_bass

You could be right about the money side John. My band are not the most expensive, usually gettin between 180 and 260 for pub gigs, and we are as busy as we want too be. There is only 4 of us and we dont travel too far. We have had to knock back gigs as our singer gets into trouble with his wife if he does too many saturdays!

Regarding 2 bands up for the same gig, we work on the premise of if someone mucks us about or doesn`t want us, f**k em. We don`t bother asking for a reason for a knockback. But we are strictly a pub covers band with quite a good name so it could be a different story if we were doing our own stuff or wanted to earn better money.

Jez

Functions John?
Yeah I ask sometimes. Mostly to make sure our fees are in the right ball park. I also ask the people that do book us why they did so, what "worked" about our marketing and stuff. Usually after the gig when they have already sent a "ta you were great" note.

We put our fees up a bit too far one year and had a very clear and obvious drop in conversions from enquiry to booking and so had to revise things.

Generally if they don't book us after being obviously keen they will tell us they wanted a different style of band, a DJ or that their finances changed, or the fiancee changed :~) Hard to tell what the truth is though...

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='770526' date='Mar 10 2010, 03:32 PM']If you get an enquiry for a gig and the get the old, "oh it's between you and another band" cobblers and a subsequent email that says, "just to let you know that we've decided to go with the other band", do you ever ask why/for feedback and more to the point, actually get a response?

I've had two this year - not really that bothered but suspect it comes down to money (and us being more expensive) rather than anything else.
Edit: I meant to add, on both occasions, I've responded with a polite question to ask what made their mind up in the end, as all feedback helps with future enquiries and helps meet our clients needs better, blah blah blah - I've not had a reponse in both cases (personally I think this is a bit rude as I make sure I reply to emails even if to acknowledge their receipt).
Just wondered.[/quote]

Nope, not bothered, if they pay the money it is their choice...and possibly their loss.. :)

I've heard of this happening in a couple of function bands I play with...It is, IMO, a bit rude not to at least acknowledge receipt of a n e-mail for feedback, but that's what alot of people are like, especially over the internet.

It seems to me to usually be people who have enquired about the band without doing much, if any research on how much it costs to hire a professional function band - there probably isn't, in most cases, another band, unless it's one with members who know the people looking to book a band.

I tend not to consider these enquiries as serious ones, so it's never something that bothers me...Might do if I was the one running the band though!

I get plenty of emails that just ask for a price with no details of venue, music requirements, etc - I know immediately that we will be perceived to be too expensive and won't get booked. I am wondering if I should include a field on our contact form to include price expectation or budget - but I that may frighten people off.
I respond to enquiries and never hear anything again and would stake our fee it is because we are considered expensive. I'm sure there are some bargains to be had, but equally I am sure you get what you pay for.

Ah well!