Why become a member? ×

GuitarGuitar

yorick

Nipped into GuitarGuitar briefly this morning, in between bouts of being ill, and was very impressed with the range of basses they had. Mainly Fenders, but a good selection Sadowskys, Laklands and a few Epiphones. Amp range seems a bit limited, but saw and heard some nice Aguilar stuff, and saw the TC stuff. Well worth a visit..... :)

Ps not a lot of lefty stuff though

[quote name='krispn' post='766484' date='Mar 6 2010, 09:23 PM']Any sign of any of the GuitarX2 getting in the 65 Amp Apollo heads?

I'd really like to try one :) Has anyone heard much about them yet?[/quote]

To be honest, never heard of them.............. Apparently the website is the place to look.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='766738' date='Mar 7 2010, 10:32 AM']For those that want a sneaky peak at what it looks like...

Basses at the rear of the picture, on the left.[/quote]

I think i was just out of shot when that pic was taken!!!! I recognise a couple of the punters............

i went the other day, staff seemed really helpful. Was glad to see the sadowsky stuff... does anyone tink the metro stuff is a bit overpriced when you consider what you can get from a luthier like shuker the same money?

There was a lovely sparkly gibson es336 that is possibly the gayest guitar on earth!

[quote name='JMT3781' post='766870' date='Mar 7 2010, 01:47 PM']i went the other day, staff seemed really helpful. Was glad to see the sadowsky stuff... does anyone tink the metro stuff is a bit overpriced when you consider what you can get from a luthier like shuker the same money?

There was a lovely sparkly gibson es336 that is possibly the gayest guitar on earth![/quote]

+1 on the sadowsky front. The latest prices are crazy.

[quote name='JMT3781' post='766902' date='Mar 7 2010, 02:25 PM']the salesman came out with this jem:
"The thing with sadowsky metro basses, they arn't trying to be anything special"

anyone else thinks this warrants a 1500 + price tag?
surely this isn't one of sadwoky's marketing slogans :)[/quote]

I think they were probably meaning in terms of looks, in that they look very much like Fenders. They don't have any overly fancy tops or finishes or relic effect.

The key to the metro basses are the pickups, the bridge and the general fit and finish which are generally great. Yes they are Japanese rather than American but they are far from being budget basses. The ones I have tried more than hold their own against the few Overwaters, Peavey Cirrus, Wals in terms of construction, pickups, sound and playability, if not in terms of having a distinct unique look or design. They are also very unfussy basses that don't require much time spent to eq etc, which makes them really great when playing gigs or recording.

The sound as well is pretty unique to Sadowsky in my opinion, which some people just don't take to anyway. I find it almost impossible to dial in a 'vintage' fender sound on a Sadowsky, even with the VTC. If you want that sound, then you are probably better off getting a Fender.

I think that when the four string metros were in the £1300-1500 category that was bang on. Now they have gone up again to starting at £1700, which is pushing it a bit. Suppose its a sign of the times though as the prices of NYCs have gone up as well.

[quote name='JMT3781' post='766870' date='Mar 7 2010, 01:47 PM']does anyone tink the metro stuff is a bit overpriced when you consider what you can get from a luthier like shuker the same money?[/quote]

It depends if you ever want to sell your Shuker. Resale on a Sadowsky will always be higher than on a Shuker given the current market trends.

[quote name='thodrik' post='767043' date='Mar 7 2010, 04:50 PM']I think they were probably meaning in terms of looks, in that they look very much like Fenders. They don't have any overly fancy tops or finishes or relic effect.

The key to the metro basses are the pickups, the bridge and the general fit and finish which are generally great. Yes they are Japanese rather than American but they are far from being budget basses. The ones I have tried more than hold their own against the few Overwaters, Peavey Cirrus, Wals in terms of construction, pickups, sound and playability, if not in terms of having a distinct unique look or design. They are also very unfussy basses that don't require much time spent to eq etc, which makes them really great when playing gigs or recording.

The sound as well is pretty unique to Sadowsky in my opinion, which some people just don't take to anyway. I find it almost impossible to dial in a 'vintage' fender sound on a Sadowsky, even with the VTC. If you want that sound, then you are probably better off getting a Fender.

I think that when the four string metros were in the £1300-1500 category that was bang on. Now they have gone up again to starting at £1700, which is pushing it a bit. Suppose its a sign of the times though as the prices of NYCs have gone up as well.[/quote]

I agree. Even though im not sure Sadowsky tone is for me, I would still have one if they kept them below £1500. It kind of takes the point out of an affordable instrument. Fit and finish is brilliant on them...I must admit.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='767055' date='Mar 7 2010, 05:09 PM']It depends if you ever want to sell your Shuker. Resale on a Sadowsky will always be higher than on a Shuker given the current market trends.[/quote]

+1