Why become a member? ×

Protecting amp/cab electrically

OK,

So I got my original GS112 back from the menders today. Haven't tried it, but I assume it works fine. The other one will go back in a few day when I can be bothered to post it.

My concern now, is that I've got a practice on Thur Fri and Sunday this week with 3 different bands. First band is quiet so I'll probably take my 1x10 cab, but the other two are loud bands. On Friday I practice in the room with the dodgy electrics... which could have pooed my second cab. What could I do to protect my equipment from potentially dodgy electrics? I don;t want to risk damaging another cab! (not that its what damaged the other one, but i cant be sure until i get it checked out)

what mains protection is there that is GOOD. not like a belkin multi socket thing, but a propper protective device?

cheers

[quote name='Dubs' post='763951' date='Mar 4 2010, 02:04 PM']RCD + a Belkin style 4-way surge protection socket should be more than enough for you to feel happy that you and your gear is protected...[/quote]

+1 That's exactly what I use, no matter whether the electrics are good or not. You can never be too careful.

You can buy a socket tester for a few pounds which will test the house wiring you are plugging into. always use an RCD with your gear. It is also sensible to plug all your amps into a single output so all the earths are at the same potential. You could get hurt or even killed if you are unlucky, why take a risk.

I've written an article on this if you want to check it. Happy to write another for this site if anyone asks.

[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/this_article_may_save_your_life.html"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the..._your_life.html[/url]