Why become a member? ×

advantages of fretless basses?

JordanRLS

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='763626' date='Mar 4 2010, 08:15 AM']Also, if you don't want to be Jaco or Pino... a solo'd P pickup on a fretless is a beautiful thing, IMO.

[url="http://www.jollybeggars.co.uk/stuff/motrr.mp3"]Here's a recording of mine[/url]. (folk music warning)[/quote]

wow, very fat tone...nice thanks for posting that :)

[quote name='iconic' post='763707' date='Mar 4 2010, 09:51 AM']sweet....oooh no I think I fancy one...must resist...must resist...must resist.....no need for 4 basses...seem great value at £223.99 new...be rude not too, but I only just got my BB
last week!
[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=5402"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=5402[/url]

[size=1]just how much is kidney worth on Fleabay in this credit crunch climate???[/size][/quote]

I than'yew'verrmuch littlepaperboy....

That was full bridge pup, neck pup added to taste (about 30%) played over the neck pup, into a Joe Meek TwinQ with light compression (about 3:1 ratio is all I can remember off the top of my head) and some further eq'ing to add depth and warmth, onto an HD24, then transfered onto a G5 Mac running protools for mixdown with a bunch of very shiny Waves platinum vsts and all sorts of other fine quality stuff.

Frankly you could make a hamster being crushed with a cricket bat sound good with that signal chain and a little skill IMO. Although I would say that it still is representative of the quality of the instrument somehow (the way it gives a little mwaah on that one slide in the chorus tickles me every time I hear it to be honest). Makes me feel that I can get a decent result anyway :)

I think they are just the best value for money fretless. If you are at all unsure about getting into fretless then buy one, they turn up second hand on here fairly regularly, I picked up mine for about £150 IIRC!

[quote name='iconic' post='763622' date='Mar 4 2010, 08:04 AM']fretless have my attention now...do they all sound like this VMJ fretless, or this going thru oodles of witchcraft boxes?[/quote]

They don't all have to sound like that, no. To my mind that clip makes it sound a little thin and muted too much - but perhaps that's the just the video quality.

I've started to use my Aria Pro 2 SB600 fretless again for a few songs. It's easy to get stuck into the chorus laden slow song with vibrato and gliss, and I am guilty of this on our version of Angels when we do it (not very often). I have looked at other songs and the lovely organic tone I get out of mine with it's Seymour Duncan Basslines passive pickup makes for a great change in tone and feel. Mixed with an ocatver (no chorus - I promise) and you can get deep synth like sound. I use nickel coated roundwounds. It's a very inspirational instrument that gives you a different perspective on playing and coming up with basslines.

I'm suprised no one has uploaded any photos, so here's mine.

[attachment=44122:aria_006.jpg]
[attachment=44123:aria_005.jpg]
[attachment=44124:aria_015.jpg]

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='764821' date='Mar 5 2010, 10:06 AM']I had no idea it was played on fretless till I watched an interview with Geddy[/quote]

Exactly.

TBH, I always thought Geddy might've well played that on his fretted. It wouldn't sound much different...