Why become a member? ×

Washburn B20 Restoration

W1_Pro

Hello everyone,
I recently bought I rather knackered example of a Washburn B20 bass. It's been restored beautifully- and at very reasonable cost- by my mate Graham Parker a Lewisham luthier of unimpeachable reputation. Please have a look at Grahams blog of the build-plenty of pictures- and let me know what you think. The bass now plays and sounds fantastic. I'm very pleased with it, I've had a thing about these particular ugly ducklings for about 20 years!
Best
S

[url="http://grahamparkerluthier.com/2010/01/29/bass-guitar-repairs-london-vintage-washburn-b-20-bass/"]http://grahamparkerluthier.com/2010/01/29/...burn-b-20-bass/[/url]

That's some nice looking work!

Do you mind if I ask how much it cost? PM me if you don't want to make the details public. I have the 8-string version of this bass that is in need of some major TLC and Mr Parker looks like the man to approach for this.

Beautiful job bringing that back to health - I had one of these in 1981 (my first serious bass) and it was gorgeous. Don't think I really appreciated it at the time & wish I still had it.

Great restoration work from Mr Parker there, impressed by his technique for rectifying the truss problem, and the ebony fillet in the back of the neck - I'd love to see clearer pics of that.

Just one little detail though - this needs gold speed knobs, surely! :)

Jon.

Looks like a realyl nice save from the firewood stack.

I had one of the 8 strings years ago whcih I bought from Andy's on Denmark Street - one of the most vicious neck-dives I've ever come across, but it sounded HUGE...

What a fret job. The repair to the back of the neck looked particularly difficult.

There's a chasm between people who can set up guitars and someone who can execute high-quality major repairs. It's hard to find people like that so no wonder you're a regular customer.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='761726' date='Mar 2 2010, 12:37 PM']That's some nice looking work!

Do you mind if I ask how much it cost? PM me if you don't want to make the details public. I have the 8-string version of this bass that is in need of some major TLC and Mr Parker looks like the man to approach for this.[/quote]

Hello Big Red,
Graham charged a very reasonable £400 all in which included a set of d' Addarios's. Pretty fair for all that work I think?

[quote name='Bassassin' post='761742' date='Mar 2 2010, 01:03 PM']Beautiful job bringing that back to health - I had one of these in 1981 (my first serious bass) and it was gorgeous. Don't think I really appreciated it at the time & wish I still had it.

Great restoration work from Mr Parker there, impressed by his technique for rectifying the truss problem, and the ebony fillet in the back of the neck - I'd love to see clearer pics of that.

Just one little detail though - this needs gold speed knobs, surely! :)

Jon.[/quote]

Aha, my very thoughts. The gold speed knobs are en route.
I'll post some pics when they come through
Best
S

• 6 months later...

Ive got one of these!

I sold it and then bought it back cos I missed it. I also made £25 out of buying it back, amazingly...! Ive done hundreds of gigs with mine, still sounds the business. The comment about the neck dive is right tho, its ridiculous - keep a hand on the headstock at all times! I use it now alomst exclusively for gigs where an odd tuning is required (most recently its been my "QOTSA" bass).

Mine is the flame quilted top finish tho. Although I have to see I really like it in black... but the finish on mine is so nice I wouldnt get it refin'd... no matter how many pick scratches are down the front of it... and there are a lot considering this was my first "real" bass :-)

A lovely job by your luthier, thanks for the little trip down memory lane as well...!