Why become a member? ×

gun oil???murphys..what?

witterth

I Saw captain Blacks Ad for his stingray,that I wish I'd seen sooner,for that "simply sublime" stingray (with pietzio/pizza,pi$$eda,p..pitstop I dunno, pickup....whatever...loving that bass)...gone now...bad one....anyway.... :lol:
in the ad he mentions "gun oil" and "murphy oil soap" or something like that....
well, whats that? :)
my 5yr old stingray has what I can only describe as "marks" or stains where the strings go, up the (maple) neck and are only visible with no strings on, but are there non the less.
should I have been using "gun/murphy oil" even though I dont know what it is.
this guitar has been REALLY well looked after since purchace in san francisco(new) and only come out of the box to do 4/5 gigs in as many years, really hardy touched...so baffled
is this oil stuff the thing for maple necks? :rolleyes:
....any thoughts Folks?
thanks ( sorry for overuse of" :lol: " things BTW

It's one way of treating the unfinished necks on Stingrays in particular. The gunstock oil combined with some sanding makes the necks smoother. The other route is to get the neck refinished by a luthier. The previous owner of my Stingray had the neck refinished in satin lacquer. It's sublime.

It's a matter of taste, basically. Some people like the feel of the unfinished necks. I hate them, hence I sold my Stingray 5. Geddit?

Satin lacquered neck refinished by luthier...

[quote name='witterth' post='760271' date='Feb 28 2010, 10:51 PM']he mentions "gun oil" and "murphy oil soap" or something like that.... well, whats that? :)[/quote]

As far as I can tell it's a cleaner for wood furniture, floors, gun stocks, etc:

[url="http://bit.ly/murphyoil"]http://bit.ly/murphyoil[/url]

Haven't used it myself, so can't recommend!

EDIT: Well there you go, pre-empted by one who knows! ^_^

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' post='760295' date='Feb 28 2010, 11:21 PM']As far as I can tell it's a cleaner for wood furniture, floors, gun stocks, etc:

[url="http://bit.ly/murphyoil"]http://bit.ly/murphyoil[/url]

Haven't used it myself, so can't recommend!

EDIT: Well there you go, pre-empted by one who knows! ^_^[/quote]
thanks so it wont "clean" as such then
thanks for reply btw

Hi,

I dont know it it will be any help but I had a stingray with an unfinished neck and like OutToPlayJazz absolutely hated it (the neck that is) I did some searching and found out that MusicMan reccommend the use of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and Tru-Wax? I bought some for about £10 and very lightly sanded out the dirty marks on the neck and then applied several coast of Tru-Oil lighlty sanding back each time. The oil goes quite hard in the end and creates a lovely semi-gloss kind of satin feel. It seals the wood so it doesn't get dirt in and also really made the maple neck pop out. I then finished with the wax and I have never played a neck like it since apart from a GB spitfire. It was stunning by the end.

You just have to be quite brave when doing it. I did it with help from my dad many years ago who is a carpenter and he said if he messed it up he would pay for the Gallery to fix it or pay for a new neck.

Hope it helps.

Mmmm, oiled necks.

I oiled up a Les Paul (copy) neck that I'd sanded the horrible paint job off, I did it with teak oil. It's quite tasty. Helps that I also sanded it down with 1500grit in the end.
At least, I think it was Teak oil. Might have been Tung but I'm erring towards the former, certainly wasn't Danish oil or Linseed. Either way, when I finally finish the bloody body and reassemble it (hopfully, it was a poor fit initially and I expect I'll actually need to route both the neck and the pocket square due to rubbish sanding techniques) I know it'll be a slick player.

Is it me or have I just been lucky with my MM necks? Never had a problem with dirt accumulation, although I'm almost
OCD regarding having clean hands before playing! Have occasionally just used a slightly damp cloth on the board and thats been it.

But which is best - lacquered or unfinished? Ther's only one way to find out - FIGHT!