Why become a member? ×

Bum Notes and Feeling Guilty

xilddx

There are a lot of views here and while I don't particularly disagree with the ones I have read (which is not all) I would add these thoughts derived from my own personal standpoint.
I want to play the gig right so learning material is paramount, if it's my gig then the stakes of that are quite high, there are varying degrees of how much time I can devote to that end but it's my stock position, I don't always achieve my own standards (usually through time constraints) but the standard, which in my mind should be 'excellence at all times' is my goal. The only way I can achieve that standard is to be match fit, the only way to be match fit is to be practised in whatever discipline I am required to perform. For me the most challenging of the disciplines is reading as I am primarily self taught and therefore did all my early learning by ear, so reading is something that requires constant work.
In summary Nig you really need to know your sh*t, because as you have found out to your cost if you don't, when the spotlight is on it tells.
[b]Do[/b] beat yourself up over it, because that will be a major motivating factor to improvement.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='760902' date='Mar 1 2010, 04:34 PM']There are a lot of views here and while I don't particularly disagree with the ones I have read (which is not all) I would add these thoughts derived from my own personal standpoint.
I want to play the gig right so learning material is paramount, if it's my gig then the stakes of that are quite high, there are varying degrees of how much time I can devote to that end but it's my stock position, I don't always achieve my own standards (usually through time constraints) but the standard, which in my mind should be 'excellence at all times' is my goal. The only way I can achieve that standard is to be match fit, the only way to be match fit is to be practised in whatever discipline I am required to perform. For me the most challenging of the disciplines is reading as I am primarily self taught and therefore did all my early learning by ear, so reading is something that requires constant work.
In summary Nig you really need to know your sh*t, because as you have found out to your cost if you don't, when the spotlight is on it tells.
[b]Do[/b] beat yourself up over it, because that will be a major motivating factor to improvement.[/quote]
Spot on, Jake.

Believe me, I am beating myself up over it, and it has motivated me a lot :)

Some of the issues are that for this gig I really was under-rehearsed and had little time to practice since I'd been given four new songs to learn the day before and only went over the trickier songs (I cocked up on a couple of the easy ones).

Some of the songs are extremely repetitive from a bass perspective so vocal cues are paramount, but occasionally the singers mis-cue too so that really makes it difficult (eg. 47.5 bars of 3 bar cycles before a half bar drop is uncountable for me, especially on stage). I dance too much and sometimes lose control of the bass for a moment. All these are down to lack of my own practice, I need to do a lot more, so do the band but there are time, economic and availability issues too.

[quote name='silddx' post='761410' date='Mar 2 2010, 12:44 AM']It's the self-flagellation that's driving me forward.[/quote]

That's good. After each gig I like to review everything that could be improved on the previous performance and I figure out a plan of how to improve it for the next one. Not just for my playing but the whole band. It seems to work pretty well. There's always fewer and fewer things to improve upon gig on gig.

The 3 things to do are:

1. get serious about practice: both technique, just to keep the fingers moving properly, and the tunes, so that you can play them while jumping about on stage like Marty McFly;

2. keep it all in perspective and don't get despondent;

3. try to nail the next gig.

Interesting thread. With these few gigs done with the band I am not surprised there were a few bum notes. My opinion is that gigging is the only way to get tight as a band. If you are doing only the odd gig then there will be times when it all goes off a bit. Even with lots of rehearsal ( which there was not in this case ).

Everyone makes the odd mistake and to be honest most of the audience would not know anyhow!

The next one will be a stormer I`ll bet.

Bob

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='761481' date='Mar 2 2010, 08:19 AM']Interesting thread. With these few gigs done with the band I am not surprised there were a few bum notes. My opinion is that gigging is the only way to get tight as a band. If you are doing only the odd gig then there will be times when it all goes off a bit. Even with lots of rehearsal ( which there was not in this case ).

Everyone makes the odd mistake and to be honest most of the audience would not know anyhow!

The next one will be a stormer I`ll bet.

Bob[/quote]

Absolutely spot on. I don't normally practise, as we gig quite frequently. However, I definitely would if we had a fairly long lay off.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='761569' date='Mar 2 2010, 10:07 AM']I wouldn't give yourself too hard a time. The fact that you obviously care enough to feel the way you do puts you a step above a lot of people.[/quote]

+1

You can also get too uptight, and if you're not having a good time, the punters won;t either. So maybe a balance in there somewhere, efficient practice, then forget about it at the gig and just have a ball.

Nigel...as much as you might be encouraged to stop dancing so much, I suggest otherwise. If its a fun and funky band, dancing is part of it. Worst thing ever is watching musos lording themselves onstage and being absolutely note perfect but looking like they dont enjoy it.

My ex band was chaotic on stage. Nothing like what you play, and not as pro...think early 80s american hardcore punk like Minor Threat...with more complex parts thrown in. We threw ourselves about onstage and yep I made mistakes....but the crowd and the band enjoyed it.

As I have matured, I definitely agree that being tighter/pretty much nailing it is really good for more 'subtle' types of music....but you still have to enjoy it.

Hope all is well..it sounds like the gig went down well anyway.