Why become a member? ×

Left hand position

cameltoe

I've noticed recently that I tend to hold the neck in the palm of my left hand whilst playing, especially while hitting the D and G strings. Almost how you would hold a guitar whilst playing chords, the bottom of the neck sitting right in my palm. I think it started because it feels more secure in my hand than the correct technique, which would obviously be to have my thumb pressing off the back of the neck, with my fingers more 'square on' to the fret board. The way I play I often lead with my ring finger (if I'm not going to be subsequently going up the fretboard, in which case I'd lead with the index). I noticed recently as I've started to find indexing the 1st fret a bit of a unnecessary stretch. It feels a tad uncomfortable. But then again, so does the 'correct' technique.

Obviously I want to be as good a player as I can, and be as comfortable as I can, so I wondered if this is something I should nip in the bud now? I've only been playing 18 months or so, and I blame many years of guitar playing and a neck-heavy Epiphone EB-O as a first bass as the culprits.

Interestingly enough, I tend to use a more conventional technique when I'm playing sat down, so maybe I am doing it subconciously to prevent neck drop? My P bass doesn't suffer from that thank god.

Does anyone else do this? Should I learn the correct technique or is it not a problem?

Your palm shouldn't really be touching the neck,and you shouldn't be gripping it
either. Try putting your thumb level with your middle finger,so your fingers can curl
smoothly around the neck.Don't grip the neck though-you should be able to lift your
thumb away and still play.Use the thumb more for balance and as a pivot.

I'm going to suggest maybe taking a couple of lessons-then you will be able to see
exactly where you are going wrong.

I might take a few lessons at some point, however I think the majority of teachers near me who teach bass are primarily guitar teachers. Thats not to say I won't learn something from them, but they may approach it from more of a 'theory' point of view when it comes to teaching bass.

I'm fairly comfortable with the technique I use, but it's only once i try and do it correctly I realise how much easier it gets to reach all the frets without moving my left hand- with my technique, I slide my hand around more than I should have to, and any kind of big stretches are a pain. At the moment though, the 'correct' technique (apologies Will Lee and Randy Jackson) feels unsecure. And the thought of doing it WITHOUT gripping the neck with my thumb seems completely unrealistic for me at this point!

[quote name='cameltoe' post='759122' date='Feb 27 2010, 02:18 PM']I might take a few lessons at some point, however I think the majority of teachers near me who teach bass are primarily guitar teachers. Thats not to say I won't learn something from them, but they may approach it from more of a 'theory' point of view when it comes to teaching bass.

I'm fairly comfortable with the technique I use, but it's only once i try and do it correctly I realise how much easier it gets to reach all the frets without moving my left hand- with my technique, I slide my hand around more than I should have to, and any kind of big stretches are a pain. At the moment though, the 'correct' technique (apologies Will Lee and Randy Jackson) feels unsecure. And the thought of doing it WITHOUT gripping the neck with my thumb seems completely unrealistic for me at this point![/quote]
I really would advise avoiding Guitar teachers trying to teach bass. The bass guitar is a very different instrument in many ways. I do know one guitar player who also plays bass extremely well, but he is very much in a minority.
It's a bit like cello teachers trying to teach bass - absolutely ridiculous ! it should be against the law !!

I also think it worthwhile having just a handful of lessons from someone who really knows what he / she is doing, even if it means travelling some distance. An occasional lesson from a top player is worth far more than regular lessons with an average teacher who just happens to live locally.

The Major