Why become a member? ×

A must-read for everyone who gigs in small venues.

MIJ-VI

I just watched the video of the fire via the link on the talkbass thread.

Shocking and very scary. :)

I don't recall hearing of this at the time it happened, but I'm going to ensure I know where the fire exits are every time I arrive at a new venue in future and if a fire breaks out leave the gear where it is.

Very sad story. Will definitely make me think twice when i go into a pub to play in future.

It does make you wonder what kind of idiot you have to be to think pyrotechnics indoors is a good idea... The gerb pyrotechnic things fire 15 feet of sparks for 15 seconds, even if there hadn't been dodgy sound insulation that must have been an obvious bad idea from the start to anyone with some common sense...

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='753128' date='Feb 21 2010, 02:21 PM']Very sad story. Will definitely make me think twice when i go into a pub to play in future.

It does make you wonder what kind of idiot you have to be to think pyrotechnics indoors is a good idea... The gerb pyrotechnic things fire 15 feet of sparks for 15 seconds, even if there hadn't been dodgy sound insulation [u]that must have been an obvious bad idea from the start to anyone with some common sense[/u]...[/quote]

Agreed--especially when there didn't appear to be any fire extinguishers present on stage.

However, like many events resulting in a tragic loss of life, there was a preceding sequence of stupidities culminating in the final event...

Things which the band didn't have control over:

- The Station's owners [i]should've[/i] had a sprinkler system installed when they converted it from a restaurant--as required by law (IIRC). They didn't.

- City inspectors [i]should've[/i] insured that said system was installed. They didn't.

- The club's owners [i]should've[/i] used fire retardant sound insulation in a venue seating 400 or so patrons. They didn't.

Then there's the things which the band [i]did[/i] have control over, and should've done:

- Lose the indoor fireworks in favour of firing the crowd's imagination via an inspiring performance.

- Instruct their roadies to aid in evacuating people in the event of an emergency, and screw the gear.

--------

Before each performance, confirming that fire exits are usable (some open into alleyways which can be blocked by illegally parked vehicles, or large rubbish bins) could be a life-saver. As would knowing the location and condition of fire fighting apparatus and pull-alarm stations.

Perhaps e-mailing pub owners a link to that TalkBass thread might be an idea.

In the past I've played elderly, frequently remodeled clubs featuring bad wiring, improperly stored paint supplies, and constricted avenues of egress etc--even broken fire exits which were chained shut at show time. :-(

Long ago one club band I was in walked out on a gig due to deplorable conditions. Our agent canceled the balance of our bookings.

For booking agents, bands are easier to come by than venues...

If gigging musicians don't look out for themselves then it's unlikely that anyone else will either.

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='753128' date='Feb 21 2010, 07:21 PM']Very sad story. Will definitely make me think twice when i go into a pub to play in future.

It does make you wonder what kind of idiot you have to be to think pyrotechnics indoors is a good idea... The gerb pyrotechnic things fire 15 feet of sparks for 15 seconds, even if there hadn't been dodgy sound insulation that must have been an obvious bad idea from the start to anyone with some common sense...[/quote]

As someone in a band that uses & has used professional indoor pyrotechnics safely and effectively for 20 years I don't consider myself an idiot, thanks....
You might try NOT to generalise in future.... :)

'The Station' venue in this piece was of wood build, with non-fireproofed insulation foam hanging out of the wall in various places all over the club. It was a death trap before this show took place. Should there have been pyrotechnics used here? Of course NOT..... but then a stray cigarette could have caused a similar fire at any point....

Like most hazardous products - Pyrotechnics are as safe as the people using them, the type/size of effect used (& it's suitability for the venue).... and the condition of the venue itself. We use mini gerbs (7 seconds of waterfall sparks which fall out cold and go to 8 ft height), silver jets (instantaneous jets of sparks - again to approx 8ft which fall out cold), Theatrical Flashes (puff of smoke with bang) and small flames (6ft high jet of flame). We only use them in suitable venues and are very careful with our positioning/use of effects.....

Edited by cetera