Why become a member? ×

Transition from B-G to E-C

Faithless

So, I did it (changed strings) about an hour ago :)

I was thinking about going 'for' E-C tuning for a while, but I was in doubt a bit, cuz I have a few projects (Hip hop and gospel stuff), where I get to play a bit below low E, but, in the end..

I'll get over those 'note issues' I think.

The problem is, I've played a very little of standard tuning bass (I mean, four string, E to G tuned), so, now, the transition, as I'm feeling after 40min of scale playing, will be f*cking hard, man..

It's not about that transition from 4string to 5ver, it's just about the place of notes on neck!

Anyway, I couldn't get on with how my B string sounded in higher register, no actual pitch, just plain boominess, also, I'm getting a bit in transcription work, so, now, with high C, I get nearer guitars and woodwinds..

I hope, I won't suffer from that 'note transition' madness for long..

Anyone else doing similar (or a vice versa thing, from E-C to B-G..) thing and faced similar problems?

Faith

I string my 5 string E-C too. I play alot of classical music and chords so I find having the extra high string handy for those top end appegios and classical style run of notes. In fact, I hardly ever venture down below the 5th fret and never touch the E.

When you play in a 12 piece band with full orchestra and piano as well as usuall drums, guitars and vocals, you soon realise that the low B on the 5 string is pretty useless therefore I got rid of it. Best thing I ever did.

[quote name='uzzell' post='743550' date='Feb 12 2010, 10:16 PM']I string my 5 string E-C too... you soon realise that the low B on the 5 string is pretty useless therefore I got rid of it. Best thing I ever did.[/quote]

I bought my first 5 string last august, a Gibson Thunderbird Studio V.
It was strung B-G. I tried playing with it for a while but the transition from 4 to 5 was not very smooth. Also, the low B was too flabby and low to be of use with either of my current bands.
My tech suggested I go E-C. To do this, I bought a set of strings for a six string bass and used 5 of them, leaving out the low B.
Perfect!
Very simple to play now, once I got over the width of the neck and string spacing.
I love using the T Bird in the studio now, though I know I am definately a four string man! :)

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='743999' date='Feb 13 2010, 04:06 PM']im glad someone finally brought this subject up!! :)

im thinking about going E-C on my Fender P5

the B string can be difficult at times and as ive always been a four string player i dont really have the need to go lower E string

any string recomendations?[/quote]

Well, then I should call myself a 'dedicated' 5string player, as transition is quite difficult for me, but then again, it's all about habits and 'what I am used to' bullsh1t..

If I could play a 5ver, I won't struggle with E-C in future, and as I believe, you wouldn't struggle doing 'a vice versa' thing, mate :rolleyes:

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='743999' date='Feb 13 2010, 02:06 PM']any string recomendations?[/quote]
You might consider [url="http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?MAIN=http://www.stringbusters.com/ko-kat/BASS%20STRINGS/ELIXIR/"]Elixir strings[/url] as they don't do 5 & 6 string sets, but 4 string sets and then single B or C strings. Bit more expensive, but worth it IMO and balanced out by the extended life.

[quote name='WalMan' post='744498' date='Feb 14 2010, 04:12 AM']You might consider [url="http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?MAIN=http://www.stringbusters.com/ko-kat/BASS%20STRINGS/ELIXIR/"]Elixir strings[/url] as they don't do 5 & 6 string sets, but 4 string sets and then single B or C strings. Bit more expensive, but worth it IMO and balanced out by the extended life.[/quote]

As it happens i just ordered some elixir's yesterday! :) really looking forward to trying them!

I think i'll prefer the extra high notes to the big fat low B

:rolleyes:

I bought one of [url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0300575500"]these[/url] for teaching to save wear & tear on my fender, and had been thinking about making the switch to E-C for a while. As it happens, the B string on this bass sounded awful so it made sense to try it out with a high string instead. I had the nut replaced and added a ramp, and now it plays really nicely for a £200 bass. The only complaint I have about the sound is that the C string is noticeably thinner that the others - I suspect this is partly to do with scale length (I remember reading that this was a factor in Garrison/Gwizdala moving to 33" scale instruments)

As far as the mental adjustment goes, it takes me a few seconds to get comfortable if I've been playing my 'regular' 5-string a lot, but otherwise it's fine. When I first got it I spent a fair amount of time getting acquainted with the new fretboard layout before I started playing anything too involved. As others have already said, it's great for chordal work, and for getting together ideas that I've stolen from guitarists/horn players etc. When budget allows I'll invest in a better 5 to string E-C as it's becoming my favourite setup for practicing, and the only thing that's preventing me from gigging with it is that the Squier doesn't sound nearly as good as my other basses.