Why become a member? ×

Strings

Protium

[quote name='Protium' post='736607' date='Feb 5 2010, 07:58 PM']Switching back to Elites for a sensible £13.30, my usual La Bellas have gone up to £17.40 a set!! I do like the black silk wrapping though :)

End communication.[/quote]
I'd end everything if I had to play Elites.

I am messing around with more strings just for a change..

I want something with better tension that Hi Beams, maybe..

I'll probably try Super Steps and I liked the core height over the saddles... and I think ..to my knowledge these are the only
ones that go down to the core in this respect

£13.30 a set..????????????

In my "live" bass-playing days, I was always one of these poor sods whose hands sweated a lot when playing, so most strings lasted me about two gigs if I was very lucky. To that end, it didn't matter whether I spent twelve quid or twenty quid (this was years ago!). I tried out these gold-plated jobbies (Maxima Gold) which cost twice as much and were meant to last for aeons, but they weren't much better for me so I've stuck to Elites to this day. (40-100's my gauge - tried the Super-Light 30-90 - ugh).

Mal

Edited by Malc62

I've been using 40-130 steels for ages -- Warwick [color="#FF0000"]Reds[/color], £13.30 a set for 5 strings! now [i]that's[/i] cheap :) -- but I'm experimenting with heavier nickels at the moment. I'm currently trying Hartke 45-105 with an additional D'Addario 130, but I'm also going to try D'Add XLs in those gauges and will probably give Warwick Yellows and Elites Players a try too. I'd be interested in any views or recommendations!
Whatever make I finally go for, the heavier gauge is definitely a good move -- a beefier sound and a nice tension -- and I'm liking the feel and tone of nickel too.