Why become a member? ×

double bass rig advice!!

doghouse

Hi, just thought i'd ask if any basschatters have any advice on a good rig for DB as im in need of a new set up since my old tab 100 blew up!!

for the last 2 gigs iv been using a 70's 50watt fender bassman, sounds great but the weight and size is killing me getting it in the car with the bass aswell,

so i need something light, compact, and loudish, i have to keep up with valve amps 40 watts playing rockin blues/rockabilly,

iv tried a markbass LMK rig but suffered heavily with feedback never got passed 9oclock on the volume, so had to get shut,

so any advice would be helpful cheers ....... now sorted ...........

Edited by doghouse

I've just made what would be ideal ...

Its a PJB D-200 in a heavily modified Roland basscube 30 cab with a Celestion Green Neo speaker..... It weighs next to nowt and sounds pretty damn good. It would just about keep up with your g'tards....

But I can defo recomend the amp and theres one for sale in the Amps FS section, and get yorself a nice 200w 1x10 or 1x12 cab with a Neo speaker and your smokin'...... :)

...My apologies I don't see you're talking about doublebass rig...
So, don't care about my questions
I was really interested in the D200, but really afraid about the amp's power too...
In a band I play, it's only a electrofolk and the drummer plays with rods.
Do you think the D-200 does the job?
And wich size for the speaker?

Thank you
:beer:

Edited by Bassman

ive had the same keeping up with valve amps problem for a while, ive tried putting it through everything from an ampeg svt to a phil jones briefcase, the ampeg sounded great but i had to gaffer tape the f-holes to stop the feedback.. after trying out a friends acoustic image clarus i was converted to that.. Im not so keen on the electrric sound as i have never really enjoyed solid state amps but for double bass it is amazing.. There are notch filters etc for feedback control put i have never had to use them and it really punches through the amps. I ended up getting the louder model, the focus 2r because one came up on ebay.. ive been using a bergantino 1x12 for most gigs with an aguilar 212 for louder stuff, both sound great..

ranbling i know but hope this helps..

If you're having problems with feedback why not look at the Acoustic Image Contra. Small but has a lot of power, 400w. It has a down firing 10" which uses the floor to spread the sound. Players use them in big bands and everyone in the band can hear the bass fine. The Contra also has a switchable notch/low pass filter which helps combat any feedback problem.

I've been using one for years now and the guys in the jazz band in particular have no problem hearing the bass and no problem with feedback. I've also used it in a country band with amped guitars and loud drums and on one stage you could feel the stage vibrate with the bass.

Edited by BassBus

thanks guys so it looks like its got to be something acoustic friendly as i never had any problems with feedback from my tab 100 which was designed also for acoustic bass. Thanks for your comments, it gives me something to think about to make sure i make the correct purchase this time. Also as anyone had any expeirence with a ea doubler. Thanks again mick.

For what it's worth, I've been using a Polytone Mini-Brute through a Boss graphic eq for about 20 years now. I know the gear is way "out of date" - but the fact remains that it sounds great (using an Underwood pickup) If I need more Oomph I use a 15" cab. If you look around you can get this gear. Why pay more?

Lot's of ideal "clean sounding" gear around. I'd add Euphonic Audio to your try-out list.

Not surprised you fed back with a Markbass rig. My Markbass 4x10 seems to have this problem - ideal for punching a bass guitar through a noisy mix, but emphasises the "wrong" mids for upright. Saying that, if volume is important, it's amazing how damping the strings with a soft cloth through the tailpiece can massively help with this.

[quote name='guyl' post='737064' date='Feb 6 2010, 12:04 PM']Lot's of ideal "clean sounding" gear around. I'd add Euphonic Audio to your try-out list.

Not surprised you fed back with a Markbass rig. My Markbass 4x10 seems to have this problem - ideal for punching a bass guitar through a noisy mix, but emphasises the "wrong" mids for upright. Saying that, if volume is important, it's amazing how damping the strings with a soft cloth through the tailpiece can massively help with this.[/quote]
yes ill try euphonic audio. on feedback i tried a cloth and a squash ball
thanks mick

[quote name='guyl' post='737064' date='Feb 6 2010, 12:04 PM']Lot's of ideal "clean sounding" gear around. I'd add Euphonic Audio to your try-out list.

Not surprised you fed back with a Markbass rig. My Markbass 4x10 seems to have this problem - ideal for punching a bass guitar through a noisy mix, but emphasises the "wrong" mids for upright. Saying that, if volume is important, it's amazing how damping the strings with a soft cloth through the tailpiece can massively help with this.[/quote]

I know the brand has got some stick in this thread but I'd heartily recommend the MarkBass CMD 121P combo for double bass. I never get feedback problems with it. I can vouch for the Aguilar GS112 cab too. Never tried the EA or AI stuff but they seem to have loads of fans.

PTB

There seems to be a lot of talk about what equipment "gives" feedback. IMHO you have to start with the instrument's individual characteristics, the dynamics of the pickup system being used and THEN worry about the amp - at the end of the day it will only be able to process the signal fed to it. I have always been able to obtain a satisfactory sound by using a good graphic eq - and I wouldn't dream of amplifying my basses without one!
For sure, some amps are better, tonally, for DB - but I think what you shove into them is important too!

[quote name='Grambo' post='737578' date='Feb 6 2010, 08:11 PM']There seems to be a lot of talk about what equipment "gives" feedback. IMHO you have to start with the instrument's individual characteristics, the dynamics of the pickup system being used and THEN worry about the amp - at the end of the day it will only be able to process the signal fed to it. I have always been able to obtain a satisfactory sound by using a good graphic eq - and I wouldn't dream of amplifying my basses without one!
For sure, some amps are better, tonally, for DB - but I think what you shove into them is important too![/quote]

I completely disagree with this. I didn't change anything except my cab when I started to experience feedback. That particular piece of equipment emphasises a frequency that causes feedback with my upright. It's not a complaint about the cab - just a characteristic.

We've probably all played gigs on electric or upright where a certain note or frequency seems to boom out. Some kind of natural resonating frequency of a room, a stage, a pa, or an amp. String instruments themselves often have wolfnotes.

Good instrument doesn't equal good amplified tone! Equally a good amp can flatter a poor instrument.

Oh dear - I seem to be going on - and confusing the issue - sorry!

"I didn't change anything except my cab when I started to experience feedback. That particular piece of equipment emphasises a frequency that causes feedback"

There you are then - dial it out with a graphic!

"We've probably all played gigs on electric or upright where a certain note or frequency seems to boom out. Some kind of natural resonating frequency of a room, a stage, a pa, or an amp. String instruments themselves often have wolfnotes."

See above..... :)

"Good instrument doesn't equal good amplified tone! Equally a good amp can flatter a poor instrument"

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the info, im now sorted,

i went down to see mark at bass direct, settled with a Euphonic Audio doubler and a AE 1 Bergantino 1x12 cab.

Tried out lots of cabs and this one just seemed right in weight and sound,
onto the subject of feedback i took this rig to full power with the help of the notch filter it suffered no feedback at all,

im looking forward to playing 1st gig with it next sat, big thankyou to mark for all his help.

Edited by doghouse

[quote name='doghouse' post='753063' date='Feb 21 2010, 06:14 PM']thanks for all the info, im now sorted,

i went down to see mark at bass direct, settled with a Euphonic Audio doubler and a AE 1 Bergantino 1x12 cab.

Tried out lots of cabs and this one just seemed right in weight and sound,
onto the subject of feedback i took this rig to full power with the help of the notch filter it suffered no feedback at all,

im looking forward to playing 1st gig with it next sat, big thankyou to mark for all his help.[/quote]

You just have a good gig - enjoy! :)