Why become a member? ×

Cheaper Heavy Cab With Castors vs More Expensive Light Cab

Phaedrus

I wish I could afford a light 4x10 cab, but I simply can't. The cheapest "light" (30kg) 4x10 that I've come across is Hartke's AK410, at €500.

Given that I'm settled on a Tour 450 amp, I'd like to pair it with a Tour 410, but that's way outta range, so the TVX 410 is the other Peavey option. A €330, 46.6kg option . . .

So with limited funds, and 2[sup]nd[/sup] hand gear not being appealing or even viable in my locale, I wonder if putting castors on a TVX 410 would remove it from the "this-is-a-fine-cab-but-I-have-to-get-rid-of-it-cos-it's-just-too-heavy" category to the "sure-it's-heavy-but-I-like-the-tone-and-with-the-castors-fitted-it's-a-breeze-to-load-in-and-out" category?

Thanks,

Mark

good castors on a heavy cab is the route I went, works fine as long as there's no stairs or something silly like a field to get across. then again, my cabs are smaller than that 410 and only about 30-35 kilos each, and my back is mostly okay so it's not a problem for me to lift them if I have to -- up to you if you want to take the chance. what about 2 peavey 210's, would that work for you?

Castors are good but I would get 3" bolt on wheels, with brakes on the front 2. They are stronger, easier to push over gravel and will last longer than the push in ones, which will get loose and fall out when you lift the cab out of the car!

Would a 410 be too big for an aluminium folding trolley?

Two TVX210s did dawn on me, but there seems to be only a 4ohm version, making running two not workable. Why on earth did they only make a 4ohm version of the smallest cab in the range?! The cab that's most likely to be paired with another cab . . .

The Tour 210 cab is €600, so not an option.

Might look at other 8ohm 2x10 cabs, but then it's two lifts, rather than one.

Thanks,

Mark

[quote name='chris_b' post='736886' date='Feb 6 2010, 01:14 AM']....snip.....Would a 410 be too big for an aluminium folding trolley?[/quote]

I use a folding sack trolley bought in Aldi for my 4x10s, it handles them with no trouble at all and they're 45Kg a piece :)

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='737018' date='Feb 6 2010, 11:17 AM']Two TVX210s did dawn on me, but there seems to be only a 4ohm version, making running two not workable. Why on earth did they only make a 4ohm version of the smallest cab in the range?! The cab that's most likely to be paired with another cab . . .

The Tour 210 cab is €600, so not an option.

Might look at other 8ohm 2x10 cabs, but then it's two lifts, rather than one.

Thanks,

Mark[/quote]

Although there were 4 & 8 ohm versions of the 410 and 115 cabs for some reason Peavey have never done an 8ohm version of the 210 But they have been around a long time and the TVX cabs were designed to be paired with Peaveys older amps not the Tour, I use a Max700 and this will drive a 2 ohm load so 2 x 4ohm tvx cabs.

I had the same problem as you last year - I was using a 410tvx, no problem with the sound but it was too heavy, castors and trolleys don't help you to lift it in/out of your car or stairs if there is no one around to help.

In the end I've now got a 2nd hand Mark Bass 4x10, great sound and my back is grateful!
btw a Peavey 210tvx and a Mark Bass 410HR weigh roughly the same - 29.5 kg

Started looking at some 2x10 cabs, and those that caught my eye were ones that are sort of wedge shaped, where they can be tilted back to point up at the player.

It seems that the GK RBX210 can be stacked vertically, and are 8ohms each. That'd be a pretty neat stack - small footprint, could be stuffed further into a corner if necessary, and if I was concerned with aesthetics, a pretty good looking stack, too . . .

And although it's best to keep all the speakers together, the option to split the two cabs to provide bass on both sides of the stage could be useful.

At €355 each from MusicStore, starting off with just one of these and a GK amp might be interesting. I've never really considered GK, though I do know their mid & higher priced stuff (if not the Backline range) is well respected.

I'll read up on the 400RB & 700RB amps later today. I gather they're inherently pretty clean and modern sounding, rather than warm & vintagey?

Mark