Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR5000E

HoweDy

[url="http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR5000E"]http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR5000E[/url]

Someone in the year below me at school currently taking his gcse's has just got from his birthday, he's been playing bass for 4-5 years.

I wish my family were loaded :)

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='729971' date='Jan 30 2010, 06:31 PM']I'd never played a bass before that day.I did'nt even try to play it in the shop. :)[/quote]

haha well, it obviously ad an impact on you because otherwise you wouldn't be on bass chat :rolleyes: I think its best to start off with a crap bass anyway because then when you get better on that then you will sound even better on an awesome bass

A bloke came into our shop and bought his son, who was an acoustic player, his first electric guitar - a Gibson Les Paul Standard at £1800.

The beauty of owning a cheap instrument is that you appreciate the difference when you move up to a more expensive one.

Spoiled brat? Maybe so. But it makes you wonder what the rich folks buy for their kids. For instance, would Sting buy his kid a Yamaha RBX170 (a great starter bass IMO) or similar?

Food for thought.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='730010' date='Jan 30 2010, 07:08 PM']A bloke came into our shop and bought his son, who was an acoustic player, his first electric guitar - a Gibson Les Paul Standard at £1800.

The beauty of owning a cheap instrument is that you appreciate the difference when you move up to a more expensive one.

Spoiled brat? Maybe so. But it makes you wonder what the rich folks buy for their kids. For instance, (would Sting buy his kid a Yamaha RBX170 (a great starter bass IMO) or similar?)

Food for thought.[/quote]
Proberbly not,more likely to buy them a plot of land in a rain forrest. :)

[quote name='HoweDy' post='729944' date='Jan 30 2010, 06:13 PM']haha still, its not like hes an exceptional bassist[/quote]

Nothing to do with it.
All it means is his parents got him a nice bass-the instrument used has no bearing on the
ability of the player.

Anyway,if he's not exceptional,tell him to come get some lessons-y'know,being as though you're
in the area. :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='730033' date='Jan 30 2010, 07:36 PM']Nothing to do with it.
All it means is his parents got him a nice bass-the instrument used has no bearing on the
ability of the player.

Anyway,if he's not exceptional,tell him to come get some lessons-y'know,being as though you're
in the area. :)[/quote]

yes but i thought his parents may have thought, maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to buy him such an expensive bass until he has become more experienced and started playing more, and he already gets lessons

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='730010' date='Jan 30 2010, 07:08 PM']A bloke came into our shop and bought his son, who was an acoustic player, his first electric guitar - a Gibson Les Paul Standard at £1800.

Spoiled brat? Maybe so. But it makes you wonder what the rich folks buy for their kids. For instance, would Sting buy his kid a Yamaha RBX170 (a great starter bass IMO) or similar?

Food for thought.[/quote]

Ouch

[quote name='HoweDy' post='729835' date='Jan 30 2010, 04:22 PM'][url="http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR5000E"]http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR5000E[/url]

Someone in the year below me at school currently taking his gcse's has just got from his birthday, he's been playing bass for 4-5 years.

I wish my family were loaded :rolleyes:[/quote]

forgot to say it was 1500 quid :)

[quote name='HoweDy' post='730058' date='Jan 30 2010, 07:57 PM']yes but i thought his parents may have thought, maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to buy him such an expensive bass until he has become more experienced and started playing more, and he already gets lessons[/quote]

My first bass when I was 17 years old was a brand Rickenbacker 4001. My dad put a great deal of the money towards it; he's been a musician all his life and his attitude was that a quality instrument will stand you in good stead. Bear in mind this was 1980 and there were no real quality "cheapies" available at the time. That bass made me want to pick it up and play it, and FWIW I'm still playing Ricks now so it was an excellent choice for me, although that one was sadly stolen (serial number TC915 if anyone has it!).

[quote name='4000' post='730943' date='Jan 31 2010, 06:45 PM']My first bass when I was 17 years old was a brand Rickenbacker 4001. My dad put a great deal of the money towards it; he's been a musician all his life and his attitude was that a quality instrument will stand you in good stead. Bear in mind this was 1980 and there were no real quality "cheapies" available at the time. That bass made me want to pick it up and play it, and FWIW I'm still playing Ricks now so it was an excellent choice for me, although that one was sadly stolen (serial number TC915 if anyone has it!).[/quote]

fair enough man, all im saying is that this guy didn't save up for it, it was a more spur of the moment ill have that one job.

[quote name='Faithless' post='730929' date='Jan 31 2010, 06:38 PM']I don't get a point, what you're trying to say..

Wattabout bass, it all comes to personal taste - yep, there maybe were better looking Prestiges out there (mine, for example.. :) ), but, from the playing and quality view - it's a cracking bass.[/quote]

i'm just saying it is a pretty expensive piece of kit for a young guy