Why become a member? ×

One Amp....

Dandelion

I require an new amp..

I currently have an old Laney DP100 15" combo also running into 2x10 external cab. (From my previous life as a bass player)

But it is knackered, and as heavy as a washing machine, It has spent the last 15 years in the garage and consequently it has suffered.

In fact I now play quietly through a peavey 15watt guitar amp with an 8" speaker.

I have a New MIM Jazz, and I cannot resurrect the Laney.

My question is thus..

As I am currently band free, would a practice amp suffice? Or is this false economy because I aspire to be pub gigging within the year..

I want an amp which will suitable for a small pub gig, but able to provide a fairly "hifi" sound.

Here is the rub.

My wife does not understand......

Good value is essential.

If its purely a value thing I´d recommend a second hand Fender Rumble 100
They pop-up second hand all the time for around 100-150.
Good value, 100 watts through a 15 speaker. Plenty of kick, well able for pub gigs, 3band eq, and it has a D.I. out that doesn´t run hot to the desk-very simple.
The youth centre where I run band nights has two of em (i sold em my old one)and they love them.
It wouldn´t be my first choice, but it is a very practical one.
There is also a Laney RB-something or other- combo that would suit.
Or of course, there´s second hand Trace Elliot combos.
I personally only like the the V-Type Trace stuff, but the old Trace stuff is like proper military hadware and is almost indestructable-and VERY loud!

Just a thought, but your DP100 might just be suffering from a dirty and corroded input jack if the thing is powering up ok. I had a similar problem with a Laney where it powered up ok and even worked plugging into the effects return, just not when into the preamp. A quick going over the contacts with some wet and dry did the trick.

I'd recommend an amp (at least 300 watts) and a cab right now. If you feel the need you can add another cab when you start gigging.

I don't know your budget but a good used Markbass LM2 would set you back about £380-£400 and there is a used Barefaced Compact for £400 in the For Sale section at the moment. This is a rig with a great tone. It's loud and light and you probably wouldn't need a second cab!

[quote name='Musky' post='727388' date='Jan 28 2010, 11:00 AM']Just a thought, but your DP100 might just be suffering from a dirty and corroded input jack if the thing is powering up ok. I had a similar problem with a Laney where it powered up ok and even worked plugging into the effects return, just not when into the preamp. A quick going over the contacts with some wet and dry did the trick.[/quote]

You might be on to something there.

The amp works when using the effects return port.

Sounds flat, but encouraging non the less.

Thanks for the replies :)

[quote name='Dandelion' post='728143' date='Jan 28 2010, 09:45 PM']You might be on to something there.

The amp works when using the effects return port.

Sounds flat, but encouraging non the less.

Thanks for the replies :)[/quote]

Good stuff. I wouldn't really expect it to sound like a tone monster without a preamp in the circuit, but at least you know the power amp works now. You might get away with just using switch cleaner if you've got any lying around, but after 15 years in the garage something a bit more substantial might be required. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Musky' post='730579' date='Jan 31 2010, 01:46 PM']Good stuff. I wouldn't really expect it to sound like a tone monster without a preamp in the circuit, but at least you know the power amp works now. You might get away with just using switch cleaner if you've got any lying around, but after 15 years in the garage something a bit more substantial might be required. :)[/quote]

It will sound very dead going into the FX return on a MIM jazz because the passive pickup impedence is much higher than the line level return is designed for. So the amp would likely improve in tone quite a bit if you can get the pre working again.