Why become a member? ×

Twin neck project

Dom in Dorset

The necks tunred up today, they were from here:
[url="http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/CH-GUITARS__W0QQ_armrsZ1"]http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/CH-GUITARS__W0QQ_armrsZ1[/url]
they were £49 each, reading stuff on here about off the peg necks it seemed that necks from £50-£100 are prety much the same, good and bad stories about cheap and mid price necks. I chose this shop because they gave precise measurments ie width at the nut, 12th fret etc. the necks were ordered on friday, turned up saturday (while I was out).
Both necks have a slightly raised 3rd fret, not a big problem , otherwise nicely made, quite delicate.
The next step is to try some dummy bodies from mdf, ply etc, to get the ergonomics and ballance sorted.

Yes , my photos are cr@p!, It's a cheap camera and I'm sh1t at photography + my hands start shaking as soon as i pick up a camera.

• 1 month later...

I've done a bit more:
I've de-fretted one of the necks and put on a super glue coating. I put on four layers , cut it back and polished it with T cut.

I'm going to base the body on a jazz bass, this is an idea of what I'm planning:

Next step is to make a dummy body to experiment with control positions , neck spacing, strapping points etc

Edited by Dom in Somerset

• 3 months later...

Ok , I've been side tracked with gigs etcbut I'm back onto it again.
I've settled on a boby shape, the starting point was a Peavy Zodiac (thanks to Flat Eric for the pattern) . I split it and moved the curves around a bit and the result is this (MDF pattern):

I'm still playing with scratch plate shapes. the controls will be in a trench half covered by the scratch plate. this means that I don't have to worry too much about them getting in the way when i'm playing the lower neck.
I've started on the actual body:

It's made from cherry, partly because it looks nice, partly because I had some lying around. Concerned about weight I put it on the scales and it's 2.9kg, CH guitars' catalogue has Les Paul bodies that come in at 3kg , I'm confident of losing 1/2kg from contouring and routing.
Next I've got to save up for pick ups and pots.

I'd have been tempted to use a left-handed neck for the lower one, so the tuners didn't get too close to the headstock of the upper neck. Still, this is a fascinating (and very different) project and I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why it came out so small, try this:

What's left? final shaping and profiling of the body, routing for pickups, wiring, scratch plates, bolt the necks on, machines, strap buttons , get a cape , some dry ice and write a rock symphony in four movements.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just got back from my first rehearsal with "The Beast" as she now seems to be known.
In that band I was using a fretless acoustic, with only an active piezo pick up. It had a nice "double bass" sound but quite diffuse, you had to play loud to hear what I was doing and sometimes it could be a bit muddy.
The twin neck has a much more focussed sound, and I love to jazz necks.
How does it sound? the fretted side sounds like a regular P bass, it's got light strings on at the moment and it's quite twangy. The piezo bridge is subtle but add great slap tone.
The fretless neck has a nice warm sound, the piezo adds some nice top end "mmmwwwwaaahh" and "board crack"
I'm a happy bunny.
Yes it's heavy, but I'm getting used to it, I'll try and weigh it tomorrow.