Why become a member? ×

seeking opinions on Cort basses...

Dronny

I've been playing a Yamaha BB414 for some time now, lovely bass but very much an "amateur" or "beginner" instrument, and now I'm starting to notice the uneven-ness of tone across strings/frets, and the mediocre tone of the un-effected sound, and thinking maybe I should go for a better quality instrument. OR... should I try getting it set up professionally first???

But if I was going to replace it, and I don't have a lot of money to spend on a Wal, or a Warwick, or a Ric CS4001... would a Cort be a good buy? I was thinking the A4 looked nice.

So, anyone care to offer an opinion?

Dronny.

The set up idea is good-it'll make a world of difference,but it sounds like you just want a new bass
really :)
In that case,the Cort Artisans are good-They make good basses.

I wouldn't class the Yamaha as 'amateur' either-they are good instruments that will work in
a lot of situations.The price is irrelevant.

Edited by Doddy

Love my Cort GB75 - terrific build quality, only moan is the over-complicated (for a luddite like me) active electronics.

+1 on everything Doddy says - your Yamaha is a good bass and a set up may well be the answer (unless you have succumbed to GAS of course) :)

[quote name='fatback' post='723913' date='Jan 25 2010, 10:45 AM']Those Yamahas are good basses, but would benefit from a quality outboard preamp.

Not to interfere with any man's righteous GAS tho. :)[/quote]

Looks like I've been busted... I guess I'm really suffering a spot of the old GAS, it's true.

Fair point on the Yamaha not being an "amateur" instrument, I do love it, and I think it will really benefit from a good setup. I'll try that first, while I work on 'er indoors a bit more before splashing out on something else.

cheers

Dronny

Whilst GAS is indeed an incuarble disease of which most of us are guilty.....

The Yams that I have been around have benefitted from proper hardware (and being well set up) and upgraded electrics.

This is a much cheaper avenue than selling your Yam at a loss and then shelling out loads more for a new machine.