Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Wal Custom II 5-string fretted

simisker

[quote name='PauBass' post='724363' date='Jan 25 2010, 06:21 PM']Silly question, what's a V shaped neck like? I've never played a bass like that before.[/quote]
If you look here:

[url="http://www.joelguitars.com/joel-guitar-neck.html"]http://www.joelguitars.com/joel-guitar-neck.html[/url]

there's a reasonable diagram comparing profiles.

From that diagram, I'd say the Wal 5's neck is closest to a 'Medium V' at the headstock, which evolves quickly into something like the 'C shape' as you go towards the body.

There's nothing about the profile that I would have considered out of the ordinary if it wasn't for the research in neck profiles I've just done to answer this question. Apparently the Wal neck profile is a bit unusual. I don't know why I'm surprised - everything about this bass is idiosyncratic! :lol:

Any doubts will be immediately dispelled once you play it though, I'm sure, which is why I'm so keen for serious enquirers to have a play beforehand.

Oh, and on a related note: String spacing is 9mm at the nut and 17mm at the bridge [measuring from the centres of strings].

The Wal is still available, by the way :rolleyes:

If anyone is still awaiting a PM response from me, please accept my apologies :) Drop me a PM reminder and I'll get back to you this evening.

Edited by simisker

Just a quick note of the 'V' neck profile. I played a four string Wal Fretless with the same profile about 25 years back. I've had three bassses made for me since then and have asked for all of them to have the same profile. I found it very comfortable as it removes wood from where you don't want it and the the 'V' gives a very pronounced reference point for your thumb. Might not suit everyone, of course, but the 'V' is my favourite profile - for what's it's worth.

Mark

[size=4]SOLD[/size] to a lovely forum member :)

This forum is great, isn't it?

Thanks for all the encouraging posts and interests, folks, and apologies/commiserations to those who came close [in particular, the top fellow with the unfortunately-timed travel itinerary].

Edited by simisker

[quote name='supabock' post='726550' date='Jan 27 2010, 04:57 PM']So Basschatters, who out there got it??[/quote]
I'm sure he*'ll let everyone know once he's finished his journey south** :rolleyes:

[size=1]* Hardly a giveaway clue!

** This is the only time I wished I lived on the Shetland Isles :)[/size]

Edited by simisker

Do people live on the shetland isles? I thought it was just ponies lol

[quote name='simisker' post='726567' date='Jan 27 2010, 05:13 PM']I'm sure he*'ll let everyone know once he's finished his journey south** :rolleyes:

[size=1]* Hardly a giveaway clue!

** This is the only time I wished I lived on the Shetland Isles :)[/size][/quote]

[quote name='supabock' post='726550' date='Jan 27 2010, 04:57 PM']So Basschatters, who out there got it??[/quote]

Ummm...That would be me....Yes, it's me...It's mine now!!! :)

[quote name='simisker' post='726567' date='Jan 27 2010, 05:13 PM']I'm sure he*'ll let everyone know once he's finished his journey south** :lol:[/quote]

Hey Rich, thank you very much. Thanks for your hospitality, your time and all your advice, help and your patience, that thinking about the amount of Pms I sent you asking for more info about the bass, was a lot.
It was such a pleasant transaction from the first PM to the bass collection. All the details, info provided regarding the bass was 1000% accurate if not more.

It was a long journey, a long day on the road travelling up to Sheffield but it was completely worth it.

Guys, all I can say is...Wow! This bass is awesome!!! It looks great and sounds even better, so easy and comfortable to play. It's in mint condition, it's been very well looked after and you wouldn't tell it's been around those many years.
Wal to my eyes, quality everywhere, from the woods to the electronics, attention to detail it's unbelivable.

Yesterday as soon as I got back home I headed for band rehearsal and, although I haven't played a five strings bass for quite a while I felt at home, the neck is so comfortable, it balances perfectly for my taste and the sound...oh, my god... what a sound! It packs lots of punch but the versatility of the controls is great and you can dial in some more smooth tones...It sounded huge through my rig, Ampg SVT Classic + Bergantino NV610, I nearly sh*t in my pants :rolleyes:

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='jsixties' post='727399' date='Jan 28 2010, 11:07 AM']Congrats Pablo! Very proud to see this awesome bass in the hands of a fellow. :)[/quote]

Gracias Javi!

I haven't put it down today yet, I've set it up to my taste and I have been playing all day and I'm so in love with this bass...it's fantastic!