Why become a member? ×

FS : USA G&L JB-2 (price drop!)

mansfield

Price dropped to £625 - or just make me an offer!!

Hi everyone,

After much indecision on my part I'm offering up for sale my US-made (i.e. not Tribute) G&L JB-2...
It's G&L's first attempt at a version of a Jazz, and has the body of the L-2000 (unlike the new, imaginatively named, JBs).

It's in rather eye-catching silver flake, with a rosewood 'board. Passive electronics. It's pretty much in perfect condition, just a couple of small marks on the headstock that you can only see in certain lights (from string changes, I'm guessing).

Comes with the original G&L case, slightly worn as expected but all working fine.

Selling as I've just acquired, alongside my solid ASAT, a semi-hollow ASAT and a new compact rig - so this has to shift! Due to these new purchases, I'm really looking for cash rather than trades on the JB-2...

As I've got to name a price, I'll say £625, but feel free to get in touch with offers!!

I'm based in Oxford, and am in London semi-regularly so that's also an option.
Alternatively, after looking into it, I'm happy to courier it (bass wrapped in bubble wrap, in hard case wrapped in cardboard). Should be £20-25 extra...

Do enjoy the (admittedly somewhat poor) photos...

[attachment=40591:JB_2_Fr_1.JPG] [attachment=40595:JB_2_Head.JPG]
[attachment=40593:JB_2_All_3.JPG] [attachment=40594:JB_2_Head_Rear.JPG]
[attachment=40596:JB_2_Rear.JPG]

Rob

Edited to say I will courier it...
And now a price drop. And another - last one before it goes on eBay!
Now no trades I'm afraid - got a compact rig sorted now!

Edited by mansfield

[quote name='lowfer' post='718767' date='Jan 20 2010, 10:02 AM']Hey Mansfield

can you give me an idea of how this compares to a fender jazz, i.e tone, neck, build etc etc

cheers Lowfer[/quote]
Yo Lowfer,

I'd say it compares very favourably with a Fender Jazz... build quality is second to none, as with all G&Ls. You couldn't accuse G&L of taking any shortcuts there.
Tone-wise, the pickups are very transparent, very airy - it's a very clear-sounding bass, and I've heard some criticism that the pickups might even be too 'honest.' With some fiddling, though, it can give out more meat if needed.
As for the neck, afraid I can't offer an amazing comparison with a Fender J here, only having limited experience playing one - the width's 1.5" at the nut, and in my entirely personal opinion I'd say the general feel of the neck is mid-heavy (as in it's not the thinnest neck I've played, but it's not P-bass wide).

Have I now just completely confused everything? Any more questions, fire away!

Ta,
Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

[quote name='mansfield' post='718806' date='Jan 20 2010, 10:56 AM']It's a Marmite finish, I guess...![/quote]

Sure is, and I'm on the wrong side of it's Marmiticity ...which is a pity, as I played one of these at the Bass Show yesterday and loved it.

A USA for the price of a Tribute - someone (someone glammer that I) is going to get a very good deal!