Why become a member? ×

10 string nearly done..... at last!

binky_bass

at the moment im running tracey bmc cab full range 1000w beast with a tracey pre and poweramp set up.
its will handle it fine. im looking to get an accugroove whappo grande cab, 21' speaker at 800w. that'll give me all the head room i need.

[quote name='binky_bass' post='29778' date='Jul 10 2007, 01:37 PM']at the moment im running tracey bmc cab full range 1000w beast with a tracey pre and poweramp set up.
its will handle it fine. im looking to get an accugroove whappo grande cab, 21' speaker at 800w. that'll give me all the head room i need.[/quote]

Blimey, Exactly when are you joining Disaster area, :)

[quote name='binky_bass' post='29778' date='Jul 10 2007, 02:37 PM']im looking to get an accugroove whappo grande cab, 21' speaker at 800w. that'll give me all the head room i need.[/quote]

Bear in mind that although the Whappo Grande certainly has substantial output in the 40-100Hz region, it gets nowhere near achieving its claimed specs of -3dB @ 22Hz and -6dB @ 19Hz. Here's a graph of claimed response vs actual possible response:

[url="http://lowdownlowdown.com/greenboy/MusicImage/AccugroovedWopper2.gif"]http://lowdownlowdown.com/greenboy/MusicIm...ovedWopper2.gif[/url]

The 21" cone looks impressive though - and certainly ticks all the right marketing boxes...

Alex

[quote name='binky_bass' post='29778' date='Jul 10 2007, 02:37 PM']at the moment im running tracey bmc cab full range 1000w beast with a tracey pre and poweramp set up.
its will handle it fine. im looking to get an accugroove whappo grande cab, 21' speaker at 800w. that'll give me all the head room i need.[/quote]

wow a 21 foot speaker that's like MASSIVE!!!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='30383' date='Jul 11 2007, 06:22 PM']Bear in mind that although the Whappo Grande certainly has substantial output in the 40-100Hz region, it gets nowhere near achieving its claimed specs of -3dB @ 22Hz and -6dB @ 19Hz. Here's a graph of claimed response vs actual possible response:

[url="http://lowdownlowdown.com/greenboy/MusicImage/AccugroovedWopper2.gif"]http://lowdownlowdown.com/greenboy/MusicIm...ovedWopper2.gif[/url]

The 21" cone looks impressive though - and certainly ticks all the right marketing boxes...

Alex[/quote]

of course not all speakers behave the way a computer program wants them to now do they?

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='30569' date='Jul 12 2007, 09:12 AM']of course not all speakers behave the way a computer program wants them to now do they?[/quote]

Actually yes, they do. You don't have to use a computer to calculate the response but it's a damn sight easier than doing it with pen, paper and slide rule!

The theory behind speaker response at low frequencies was clearly establised between the late '50s and early '70s by Thiele and Small and has been repeatedly proven in practice. Furthermore the response plot of the Beyma speaker used by AccuGroove can be found on Beyma's website - which shows it in a much larger cab and thus with more bottom than the undersized AccuGroove cab will allow.

Do what you want - it's not my money you're spending.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend him,

Rogers a good guy, sends you pics and keeps you updated.

The cost isnt too bad either.

for 7 custom made and inlayed 1 inch diameter knobs, the truss rod cover (as shown), a set of ten hipshot ultralite tuners and 12 rabbit shaped camphor burl and birdseye tuner buttons it came to about 500 quid.

thats quite alot of custom hardware for the money.

What would yo be going for?