Why become a member? ×

Beheringer chorus pedal

jezzaboy

I`m not really one for using pedals but I fancy gettin a chorus pedal. The Boss ones are around £65 and the Beheringer £26. I know there will be a difference in quality but as I`m just buying one to try out, is it worth giving the Beheringer a try or are they mince?

Cheers
Jez

If you don't mind spending another £10-15, I recommend the Danelectro CC-1 Cool Cat Chorus. It's cheap, sounds good (IMO), has metal housing and jacks and to round it off, it's true bypass and has a blue LED! (major selling point that last bit :rolleyes: )

The older, more expensive Danelectro Cool Cat DC-1 Chorus is a bit better (again IMO), I still found them to be quite similar though. It'll probably set you back over £60 if you find one, although second hand on Ebay I've seen them go for £30-40. There are 2 versions, the 9v and 18v, personally I prefer the 9v but there's not that much between them really. The 9v goes more toward the Boss style of chorus (CE-5, CEB-3, CH-1), where as the 18v is a bit more towards something like the EHX Small Clone. At the same time though, neither DC-1 Cool Cat really sounds like any of those, if that makes sense?

Saying all that, I've not tried the Behringer chorus, might sound decent for all I know. My Behringer Bass Equalizer does a good enough job, I ended up replacing it though, since I'm paranoid about the plastic housing getting smashed or it just conking out during a gig. Even with a decent sound, I worry too much about how long those things are going to hold up. I'd have no problem using one in the studio or at home though, if it sounded good enough.

And yes, I'm aware the build quality of the Danelectros quite possibly isn't that much better (considering the price), but I've had no problems yet :)

I've heard good things about this particular pedal, it's a clone of the much sought after vintage Boss DC-3:

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Behringer-Chorus-Space-C-CC300-Pedal/94B"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/...CC300-Pedal/94B[/url]

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='722157' date='Jan 23 2010, 01:41 PM']I've heard good things about this particular pedal, it's a clone of the much sought after vintage Boss DC-3:

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Behringer-Chorus-Space-C-CC300-Pedal/94B"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/...CC300-Pedal/94B[/url]

[/quote]

I dug my DC-3 out last month as i was looking to get a chorus pedal and thought this might do the job. Ive not used it on bass before so wasn't sure how it would sound.
It sounded relay nice, thick but without any of that detuning effect you get with conventional chorus units.

Saying that, i haven't bothered with it since. Great effect but as it really needs a PSU thats one more thing to worry about at a gig.

Behringer effects are a bit unpredictable - some are good at any price, some just usable and some really nasty. Do do last much better than you'd expect though. I've been gigging a UT100 trem for more than 3 years, and it's fine. The CS100 compressor is OK but the DC-9 unit is terrible (cuts away all the bass). Of course if you make a habit of throwing pedals around then you'll probably break a knob off, just like you would for an older Dano unit.