Why become a member? ×

Ageing/softening flatwound strings

Clarky

I love the feel of old flatwounds, very soft and slippery under the fingers, my favourites being TI Flats and D'Addario Chromes. After a few months they feel 'just right'. However, fresh out of the packet they tend to be a bit zingy and clanky.

So just wondered if anyone has a tip for speeding up the ageing process on flats ... other than playing the hell out of them! I have tried lemon oil and fast fret and it makes a slight difference but not dramatically so.

[quote name='Clarky' post='714706' date='Jan 16 2010, 11:45 AM']I love the feel of old flatwounds, very soft and slippery under the fingers, my favourites being TI Flats and D'Addario Chromes. After a few months they feel 'just right'. However, fresh out of the packet they tend to be a bit zingy and clanky.

So just wondered if anyone has a tip for speeding up the ageing process on flats ... other than playing the hell out of them! I have tried lemon oil and fast fret and it makes a slight difference but not dramatically so.[/quote]

Could TI flats get any softer? Bit of grease (Vaseline or similar) seems to do the trick mate

C

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='715023' date='Jan 16 2010, 06:35 PM']Oil off your nose.

Contains squalene, a chemical which, in non-plant form, can only otherwise be found in a sharks liver. The old astronomers used nose oil to polish lenses and watch menders use it to lubricate movements. Watch movements, that is.[/quote]

I look forward to your missives, they often introduce a piece of surreality into an otherwise mudane topic. However on this occasion I think you have really outdone yourself by sounding madder than a bucket full of fish whilst posting something that is true. :)