Why become a member? ×

5 string fretless Cort, Steinberger-a-like!

saxobass

The owner wants as close to £300 as he can get for this instrument, a 5 string Steinberger which looks quite old, has possibly been de-fretted and has had a precision type p.u.p. inserted instead of the original. I`m told the bridge p.u. is original. It plays well and , I believe, was brought in from America by the original owner, a professional bassist. The top plate has been resprayed quite well, and although well used is quite tidy. If you fancy it phone Phil on 01626 773400. I`ve played it and can answer questions up to a point ( I took the pictures for him), but don`t own it myself. It seems like an interesting instrument to me.

[quote name='ialma' post='714458' date='Jan 15 2010, 11:28 PM']It's a Cort

Defretted and repainted.
Interesting five strings bridge though...[/quote]

MB1. :)
...Indeed! definately Cort me out!...Sorry! I'll get me coat! :rolleyes:

[quote name='bassmanady' post='714612' date='Jan 16 2010, 09:39 AM']Was it originally a 4 string as the split pup only has 4 pairs of pole pieces?[/quote]
That sounds plausible, based on the picture of the 4-string cort and the (to my eye) uneven spacing on the bridge and string retainer. I'd have thought that a 4 -> 5 conversion would not have been easy though ... either sourcing or making parts.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='714420' date='Jan 15 2010, 10:24 PM']That looks like `a Cort, of course'! (That was the spiel in their ads!).

These did have the P type p/up in the neck position! PM on its way (giving you some info).

Nick[/quote]

Cort, defo.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='714637' date='Jan 16 2010, 11:27 AM']That sounds plausible, based on the picture of the 4-string cort and the (to my eye) uneven spacing on the bridge and string retainer. I'd have thought that a 4 -> 5 conversion would not have been easy though ... either sourcing or making parts.[/quote]

Considering Cort' relatively low budget, my idea is that they simply slapped a 5 strings bridge and headpiece on a 4 strings body.
It's just a theory though...

Edited by ialma

Better hold steady on this one fellas. I agree with everything said and have contacted the owner. I`ll get back as soon as I have spoken to him. Someone`s trying to pull a fast one here and it certainly isn`t me! I`ve got my ideas though and I`m checking it out down the line.

[quote name='Stacker' post='714683' date='Jan 16 2010, 11:22 AM']Cort, defo.[/quote]

Thanks m8! As most of you know, I do have my faults but being wrong is not one of them!!!

[quote name='MB1' post='714491' date='Jan 16 2010, 12:10 AM']MB1. :)
...Indeed! definately Cort me out!...Sorry! I'll get me coat! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I think you should get your coRt!!!

Hehe!

N

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='714637' date='Jan 16 2010, 10:27 AM']That sounds plausible, based on the picture of the 4-string cort and the (to my eye) uneven spacing on the bridge and string retainer. I'd have thought that a 4 -> 5 conversion would not have been easy though ... either sourcing or making parts.[/quote]

4 + 1 conversion kits were all the rage in the early 90s, when the 5-string thing was gaining in popularity. Wilkinson, among others, produced kits you could slap on your favourite bass, thus trashing the instrument in question. Almost shed tears over a mid-60s Fender Precision given the 4 + 1 treatment.

[quote name='noelk27' post='717162' date='Jan 18 2010, 09:21 PM']4 + 1 conversion kits were all the rage in the early 90s, when the 5-string thing was gaining in popularity. Wilkinson, among others, produced kits you could slap on your favourite bass, thus trashing the instrument in question. Almost shed tears over a mid-60s Fender Precision given the 4 + 1 treatment.[/quote]

To be fair, the Wilkinson 4+1 kit for a P was all undo-able.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='715391' date='Jan 17 2010, 01:33 AM']Thanks m8! As most of you know, I do have my faults but being wrong is not one of them!!!

I think you should get your coRt!!!

Hehe!

N[/quote]

MB1. :)
...Can't seem to find it?..i'm sure i left it on this Corthanger! :lol: :rolleyes:

[quote name='RaNoFuNkY' post='718336' date='Jan 19 2010, 08:18 PM']Any idea on scale length?[/quote]
This is not a guarantee (I don't own the bass), but it's highly unlikely to be anything other than 34 inch ... because double-ball end strings come in exactly one length (last time I checked).