Why become a member? ×

anyone know any really cool bass tricks

grimbeaver

[quote name='urb' post='715000' date='Jan 16 2010, 06:09 PM']I think this is what you might be lookng for... :) - er, don't try this at home or on stage:

Epic fail...

PS I think it's actually a Sei bass that gets trashed... doh!

M[/quote]

I love these clips

[quote name='urb' post='715000' date='Jan 16 2010, 06:09 PM']I think this is what you might be lookng for... :) - er, don't try this at home or on stage:

Epic fail...

PS I think it's actually a Sei bass that gets trashed... doh!

M[/quote]
I love the fact that this clip is now sponsored by an instrument insurance company - bet they wouldn't pay out on this!

I saw a punk band in a local very small pub. The bassist was wireless so he would pop to the bar mid song and order a pint, then he'd go out side and chat with the smokers. He made loads of mistakes and missed cues but it didnt matter because they where terrible anyway.

[quote name='bazzrocker' post='836578' date='May 13 2010, 08:34 PM']lol I'm a bassist from NY, and my idol is Kurt Cobain, but my bass idol is Krist Novoselic. So I combine the trick style of both. I usually go pretty crazy as in, lay on the floor and play, Jump up and down and play, play it like a stand up bass, move my hips back and forth, headband, scissor kick, lean over the end of the stage, and wave the bass around during the end of a song to get distortion and sh*t XDDD[/quote]
Here's a neat trick for ya to try then.

[quote name='bazzrocker' post='836578' date='May 13 2010, 08:34 PM']lol I'm a bassist from NY, and my idol is Kurt Cobain, but my bass idol is Krist Novoselic. So I combine the trick style of both. I usually go pretty crazy as in, lay on the floor and play, Jump up and down and play, play it like a stand up bass, move my hips back and forth, headband, scissor kick, lean over the end of the stage, and wave the bass around during the end of a song to get distortion and sh*t XDDD[/quote]

I'm sorry I have to ask, do you also hit yourself in the head with your bass at the end of the set?
:)

I can't see it (at work) but I'm guessing that post above neatly illustrates the point I was making.

Edited by Dave Vader

Tricks? I always seem to be photographed on stage either giving the audience evil death stares or looking like I'm about to soil myself. You'd think I do it on purpose for the camera...

Seriously though, no tricks. That would involve multitasking, and I've only just managed to construct the macro in my head to cover having 2 hands doing different things at the same time, mostly in time with each other. Still some bugs in the program to iron out :)

I had a wireless a few years back so used to do the wandering off into the crowd. I also used to spin my bass as well - you have to put a straplock in the centre of gravity just behind the neck plate and put both ends of your strap on it then kind of tilt your right hip into it while giving it a damn good spin downwards. Only problem is I'm 5'10" and there's about 4" spare as the neck goes whizzing past the floor - well I say the only problem - hit the guitarist once and smacked myself in the head when I was practicising it! :rolleyes: 34" of maple at speed hurts!

Tried the spin over the shoulder after seeing the guitartist of Saxon do it in the eighties but a bass is too heavy - I reckon they must use balsa wood guitars. Other than that just the playing over the neck and grabbing the drummer's cymbal just before he hits it to mute it :) and twiddling the guitarist's tuning peg when he's busy soloing - how we laugh...

[quote name='bob_pickard' post='837116' date='May 14 2010, 01:18 PM']grabbing the drummer's cymbal just before he hits it to mute it :rolleyes: and twiddling the guitarist's tuning peg when he's busy soloing - how we laugh...[/quote]

Can't do either of those - my drummer hits'em so hard it wouldn't make any difference, and the guitarist uses a Floyd Rose locking trem. No fun to be had at all really :)

Mind you, I'm usually too busy trying to remember lyrics, play and sing at the same time etc. to have much time to pull tricks!

A