Why become a member? ×

Playing along to Latin/Gospel

V4lve

Been trying to play along to this Latin based bit of gospel. Would love to be able to play it properly but the feel in the chorus (where everything is off the beat) is beyond me. I can get the right notes in the right place but after a few bars I begin to lose it and start wandering off. Any tips on how I can lock in?

Ta

Edited by V4lve

Ah, that's the kind of groove I was practising last time :lol:

In the chorus, it's all about the upbeat thing, which you have to get..

Sadly, (at least, for me), there wasn't any other way, than practising over and over along to the groove. With time, upbeat 'feel' will become more and more friendly to you, it simply needs to take some time.

What would I do, is to put recorded bass part in to the front, and play along with it for a few times. (do it slowly)

Then, cut the bass out, and, at the same tempo try playing it all again, and, if you can, [b]record [/b]it. Recording will not lie :)

BTW, awesome song - listening for a 5th time, no break :rolleyes: Astounding rhythm section.

Faith

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='709768' date='Jan 12 2010, 10:13 AM']Ah, that's the kind of groove I was practising last time :lol:

In the chorus, it's all about the upbeat thing, which you have to get..

Sadly, (at least, for me), there wasn't any other way, than practising over and over along to the groove. With time, upbeat 'feel' will become more and more friendly to you, it simply needs to take some time.

What would I do, is to put recorded bass part in to the front, and play along with it for a few times. (do it slowly)

Then, cut the bass out, and, at the same tempo try playing it all again, and, if you can, [b]record [/b]it. Recording will not lie :)

BTW, awesome song - listening for a 5th time, no break :rolleyes: Astounding rhythm section.

Faith[/quote]

Thanks. Good tip! Been practising and it does come with time. Found it helps if I "play" some of the missing notes/beats in my head, or occasionally add them.

Got the album. The bass playing is phenomenal. Whoever he/she is... Freddy Thompson?

What's the album called? I want it also..

And, yeah, it's very helpful to play some dead notes, as they help you not to loose groove.

BTW, it's also very helpful to play a 'dead' 16th note [i]just before[/i] the first note of every little phrase you're playing in this kind of groove..

2nd BTW - keep attention to drummer's bass-drum during chorus - it plays the exact rhythmic figure, as does bass player .

Edited by Faithless

Great line! I'm not hearing any latin in there, mind..?

FWIW, if it were me, in addition to what's been said..

I'd maybe simplify the chorus at first. Concentrate on the obvious pushed two-note pulse, and leave the notes between out. Once you've built up your confidence in the backbone, drop in little licks between back in.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='713411' date='Jan 15 2010, 11:09 AM']Great line! I'm not hearing any latin in there, mind..?[/quote]

Sorry? So, how would you describe it then?

It's not the first this kinda groove I meet, and stilistically it's always described as Latin Gospel..

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='713416' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:14 AM']Sorry? So, how would you describe it then?

It's not the first this kinda groove I meet, and stilistically it's always described as Latin Gospel..[/quote]
Ah, fair enough. it just feels more African to me.

Edited by wateroftyne

Wife reckons it's a Salsa. I think she is right.

The 16th tip is a really good one, ta. I found myself doing it naturally after a while.

The album is "Mark Beswick & The Power Praise Worship Band - The King Is Coming" and can be found [url="http://www.google.co.uk/products?rlz=1C1GGLS_en-GBGB291GB301&sourceid=chrome&q=mark+beswick+power+praise&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=p3ZQS6KFNaG60gTazrmzDQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CCIQrQQwAg"]here[/url] (CD) and [url="http://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/mark-beswick-the-power-praise-worship/id260828683"]here[/url] (iTunes). Enjoy!

Latin, Caribbean, Conjunto, Habenera, African, Salsa, there all related and to me rythmicaly they are similar and lovely to play...

Quote>Any tips on how I can lock in?

practise practice practise...own those rythms...listen to lots of this music........you could be told the step by step way of playing it, but IMHO the best way is to listen to the music as much as you can...and work out the the feel of it...

Edited by bubinga5