Why become a member? ×

New Arrival

Bloodaxe

Fresh from the sylvan fields* of Parcel Farce's Charlton Depot:

An Aria ZZB-Custom in "Bloody Red". I've only ever seen two of these, & the other one is in the catalogue scans over on the Matsumoku.org site - so they're a tad scarce.

It's quite light, & very loud. The bridge appears to have been designed by the Pharmaceutical Dept at Aria, & it's a bugger to get it comfy when standing. It's also reluctant to fit most stands.
A gigbag would be nice, but that may prove harder to find than Lord Lucan.

As a result of this, I hereby proclaim myself GAS-free**.

Pete.

*[size=1](a lie)[/size]
**[size=1](probably a lie)[/size]

One solution is to get a keyboard gig bag that fits, and load it with foam rubber, that's what I've done for my old parts-bass explorer

dave

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='77968' date='Oct 22 2007, 07:33 PM']Fresh from the sylvan fields* of Parcel Farce's Charlton Depot:

An Aria ZZB-Custom in "Bloody Red". I've only ever seen two of these, & the other one is in the catalogue scans over on the Matsumoku.org site - so they're a tad scarce.

It's quite light, & very loud. The bridge appears to have been designed by the Pharmaceutical Dept at Aria, & it's a bugger to get it comfy when standing. It's also reluctant to fit most stands.

Pete.

*[size=1](a lie)[/size]
**[size=1](probably a lie)[/size][/quote]

Edited by djlufkin

[quote name='djlufkin' post='77996' date='Oct 23 2007, 02:44 AM']One solution is to get a keyboard gig bag that fits, and load it with foam rubber, that's what I've done for my old parts-bass explorer

dave[/quote]

Tried that over the weekend at Eric Lindsey's in Catford (relicing while-U-wait), & the drat thing was [i]still[/i] poking out of the end. Admittedly that was the only local shop that had such a thing, so there may well be other brands that will take it. I really need something with shoulder straps as well - maybe a gigbag for a Thunderbird might work, they seem to be rather long beasts.

Pete.

I've inquired on T-bird gig bags and the outside dimensions don't quite make it. My explorer requires 17" by 45" or so, yours may be even longer. I used to have a custom anvil case, but it weighed a ton and was huge and I don't tour so ditched it for the last move. Good luck

dave

quote name='Bloodaxe' date='Oct 22 2007, 11:14 PM' post='77998']
Tried that over the weekend at Eric Lindsey's in Catford (relicing while-U-wait), & the drat thing was [i]still[/i] poking out of the end. Admittedly that was the only local shop that had such a thing, so there may well be other brands that will take it. I really need something with shoulder straps as well - maybe a gigbag for a Thunderbird might work, they seem to be rather long beasts.

Pete.
[/quote]

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='77968' date='Oct 23 2007, 12:33 AM']Fresh from the sylvan fields* of Parcel Farce's Charlton Depot:

Pete.

*[size=1](a lie)[/size]
**[size=1](probably a lie)[/size][/quote]
Very quiet, unassuming looking bass you've got yourself there Pete - hope to hear it and have a go at the next Bash!! Does it sound as modest as it looks?

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='78569' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:07 PM']Very quiet, unassuming looking bass you've got yourself there Pete - hope to hear it and have a go at the next Bash!! Does it sound as modest as it looks?
Nik[/quote]

Well, you know I'm one for subtle understatement. It's ideally suited for the gentle lambent tones of Dinner Jazz, and could possibly lend itself to Plainchant if I were to fit a whammy bar.

As to it appearing at any Bash (or Fumble), that's dependent on finding a suitable gigbag as the hard case is too unwieldy for Public Transport.

Pete.

I really need to get all of my old Music UK, Making Music, Guitarist mags out of the loft and start looking for all of these old wonders reviews.
I'm sure I've got adverts for this bass somewhere. If I can be arsed I'll scan the most interesting adverts (anyone remember Mick Jagger's brothers Staccato Bass?) into the PC and see what everyone thinks.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='78586' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:52 PM']I really need to get all of my old Music UK, Making Music, Guitarist mags out of the loft and start looking for all of these old wonders reviews.
I'm sure I've got adverts for this bass somewhere. If I can be arsed I'll scan the most interesting adverts (anyone remember Mick Jagger's brothers Staccato Bass?) into the PC and see what everyone thinks.[/quote]

That sounds like a plan. Kind of a counterpoint to BigRedX's Weird & Wonderful series.

P

[quote name='steve-soar' post='78586' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:52 PM']anyone remember Mick Jagger's brothers Staccato Bass?[/quote]

There was one for sale recently on eBay - I might have been tempted I've I hadn't just bought the Gus Fretless.

There was also an overview of Staccato and their instruments in one of this year's Guitar Buyer magazines.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='78581' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:46 PM']Well, you know I'm one for subtle understatement. It's ideally suited for the gentle lambent tones of Dinner Jazz, and could possibly lend itself to Plainchant if I were to fit a whammy bar.

As to it appearing at any Bash (or Fumble), that's dependent on finding a suitable gigbag as the hard case is too unwieldy for Public Transport.

Pete.[/quote]
Good point Pete - I was very impressed with how light & compact your gear was at the Bash.. Would love to see you performing with this bass at a Dinner Jazz evening somewhere :)

[quote name='cetera' post='78833' date='Oct 24 2007, 02:17 PM']I have a Staccato MG bass. One of only approx 35 made I believe.... :)

Nice bass, but it sits in my collection and isn't used live....[/quote]

Any chance of some pics?

Sorry for the thread hi-jack... so to get back on track, is the Aria the same one that I've seen posted many times on TalkBass?

i used to have one of these back in the day - not the blood covered one mind you, but the similarly subtle black one with a red lightning bolt going across it! pretty good basses really - bought mine new back in the early 80's so mine actually came with a matching hard case.

in fact...heres a vintage photo of it in action!!! haha

peace

c

[quote name='BigRedX' post='78864' date='Oct 24 2007, 01:46 PM']Any chance of some pics?

Sorry for the thread hi-jack... so to get back on track, is the Aria the same one that I've seen posted many times on TalkBass?[/quote]

Yes it is, bought from FL Knifemaker (aka Neil) in Sunny Florida. Im still baffled as to what USPS did with it for 10 days - but at least they didn't break it (or the original hard case).

I measured it the other day... 52" tip-to-tip, I think a custom gigbag will have to be the way to go, as the hard case is yuuuuge.

More pics will occur at some point, when I've found a stand it won't fall off.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have the same bass It has a custom paint job though!
LOOKS good & Nice to play but I don't think it is LOUD! & It don't scream like a bitch either!!
I prefer my COURT Action! to be honest!

abou the case though! I have made a custom case! as I just could not find anything as the epiphone is smaller scale & the T-bird is no where near as big!
this is where the problem comes the case ends up being 48" long (as long as my 4X10 is tall)

so I think a custom job is the best way! I made my case my self! check out www.prosoundman.co.uk for flight case parts & the wood I just used .25" ply & then 2X2" timber mitered for the joints & used No More nails (& acctually used some nails & clamps) to fix it all together!

foam & fur lining off E-bay & it fits like a glove!

Ugh-pointy basses :huh:

Ha ha ha,only joking mate,cool score

Try these guys for a gigbag

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/thunderbird-ironbird--mo/68579-ask"][url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/thunde...d--mo/68579-ask"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/thunde...d--mo/68579-ask[/url][/url] fo the inner size though

If an Ironbird fits,then the Aria "Might",I measured my NJ Ironbird and it is 50" long

Hope that helps :)

*edit==The Ironbirds length was measured with the rear point on the wall and tape measure from wall to headstock tip-I.E. a straight line length...Diagonal length-tip of rear horn to headstock tip is 51" *

Edited by Lorne