Why become a member? ×

Lakland's pimped

GreeneKing

Hiya all I'm in sunny Plymouth being attacked by two Burmese kittens!

Yes it's a Bob Glaub bought from Thomann and it's filled a 'P' curiosity that was causing some GAS. I'm not a Fender expert but I'd say that these passive Laklands consistently sound like a 'good' Fender or even better. Those with greater experience may like to comment.

The BG has all the P bass tone that I had imagined. As for looking sexy, well I have this fantasy around the bass 'player' from the 'Addicted to Love' video and this bass :)

Both scratchplates came from Roger at Jeannie's Pickguards in the US. His service is exceptional and the prices are amazingly cheap. The fretboard on the BG is nicely figured too. My tutor has a black/maple Ray and I suppose I've been lusting after something that looks similar too.

I had a look at Steve Tayste_2000's gear on Friday and was blown away by the detail on his Overwater neck.

The Valenti P he's selling seems quite awesome too :huh:

Hiya Peter! Nice BG! ...and a twin to mine...

...question... do you find the top string close to the side of the neck? It's quite different from my 44-02D and I have found myself pinching it over at times.

cheers
Sahun

[quote name='ShaunB' post='7678' date='May 27 2007, 03:49 PM']...question... do you find the top string close to the side of the neck? It's quite different from my 44-02D and I have found myself pinching it over at times.

cheers
Sahun[/quote]

Can't you you tilt the D and G saddles a little to force the strings towards the centre of the board?

[quote name='BB2000' post='8956' date='May 30 2007, 04:58 AM']Can't you you tilt the D and G saddles a little to force the strings towards the centre of the board?[/quote]

Unfortunately, not enough. I have been in contact with Lakland - they've been incredibly helpful - and it appears my neck is not screwed down in exactly the right position - through either their rebuild or suffering a knock, which would have to be pretty serious. They have given me a self help (chiropractic) remedy, which if it doesn't work, told me to pick a luthier and have the neck professionally sorted at their cost.

Sorry to steal the thread...

News... bass sorted! Strings now all aligned with a quick fix - don't think the neck was tightened fully and was migrating around the neck pocket. The p/up is still slightly misaligned but I don't think that causes too much of a problem...
Now have to remember how to play with all 4 strings... :)

[quote name='Muppet' post='9149' date='May 30 2007, 01:12 PM']Great news Shaun - what was the quick fix - is it something that would be useful to know?[/quote]

This is the advice from Kirk at lakland:

[i]I think we've narrowed it down a bit. Ideally, what needs to happen is the neck needs to be rotated somehow. There are two ways of doing that. The first way is to merely loosen the neck bolts slightly and just slide the neck into a straight position. This is kind of a chiropractic move. What I usually do is put the bass on a table with the headstock propped up on something. Use towels or something to protect the finish. I then loosen very slightly the neck screws and then push down on the horn of the bass until it straightens out. I hold it in place and re-tighten the screws. There really is no need to remove the strings.[/i]

Seems to be a no-brainer, but best to hear it from the Lakland tech before I blew the warranty! Worked a treat.