Why become a member? ×

When is a Fender Jazz MIJ a CIJ or vive versa !!!!

Johngh

[quote name='Johngh' post='702763' date='Jan 6 2010, 12:57 PM']I've just bought back my Fender Jazz 75 re-issue.

On the headstock below the Jazz logo it says Made In Japan. On the back of the neck near the bottom where the neck fits into the body it says Crafted in Japan.

So, which is it ?[/quote]

It's Japanese. Crafted/Made=same thing. Same as the Aerodyne editions.
P

[quote name='Bassassin' post='702877' date='Jan 6 2010, 02:30 PM']MIJ / CIJ just specifies which factory built the bass. MIJ is Fujigen Gakki while CIJ is Iida Gakki or Tokai Gakki.

Not sure why yours would have both, though. When was it made?

Jon.[/quote]

The 75 reissues have both of the decals on them. No idea why

Fender used 'Made....' when the instruments were being made by Fujigen Gakki-up until
about '97- and 'Crafted....' after production was shifted to Dyna Gakki and Tokai.
Recently though,models have been branded as both MIJ and CIJ.

Basically, 'Crafted' sounds better than 'Made' as far as marketing is concerned.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='702877' date='Jan 6 2010, 02:30 PM']MIJ / CIJ just specifies which factory built the bass. MIJ is Fujigen Gakki while CIJ is Iida Gakki or Tokai Gakki.

Not sure why yours would have both, though. When was it made?

Jon.[/quote]

I've done a bit of a search tonight to find out when it was made and it's saying 1994/95 at the Fuji-gen Plant. So that answers that one. Looks like I have a MIJ then. Here she is.

I used to own it before and have just bought it back. It's got a Gotoh bridge on it now and a different scratchplate.
The original scratch plate was black, but I kept that when I sold it as I had got it signed by Glenn Hughes.

I bought this one on Tuesday and on Saturday I'm buying a Geddy Jazz, so it would seem I have Jazz GAS at the moment.
The Geddy has been bought for a special project. :)
Thanks to OTPJ for the photo

[attachment=39566:MIJ_Jazz_Bling.jpg]

[quote name='Johngh' post='703619' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:51 PM']I've done a bit of a search tonight to find out when it was made and it's saying 1994/95 at the Fuji-gen Plant. So that answers that one. Looks like I have a MIJ then. Here she is.

I used to own it before and have just bought it back. It's got a Gotoh bridge on it now and a different scratchplate.
The original scratch plate was black, but I kept that when I sold it as I had got it signed by Glenn Hughes.

I bought this one on Tuesday and on Saturday I'm buying a Geddy Jazz, so it would seem I have Jazz GAS at the moment.
The Geddy has been bought for a special project. :rolleyes:
Thanks to OTPJ for the photo

[attachment=39566:MIJ_Jazz_Bling.jpg][/quote]

Just to confuse things slightly, I believe the first CIJ's started to appear around 1992.

Not that it really makes a jot of difference. :)