Why become a member? ×

Cabs and distortion effects

chris_pokkuri

The only real thing to note is turn your tweeter down (if you have one and can) or get a distortion/overdrive that you can turn the treble down on if you cant negate the tweeter.

Or go with a tweeter less cab if thats what you're asking.

Paper cone top end is the key really. Thats why so many people dig the berg NV range for overdriven bass sounds, and why the AMpeg fridge is still good for something :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='701351' date='Jan 5 2010, 10:43 AM']The only real thing to note is turn your tweeter down (if you have one and can) or get a distortion/overdrive that you can turn the treble down on if you cant negate the tweeter.

Or go with a tweeter less cab if thats what you're asking.[/quote]
+1 on this [b]for fuzz and distortion[/b].

For tube/tube-style drive, there's still a little room for tweeters IMO/IME. But YMMV. I'm a fuzz-lover anyway, so I'm tweeterless all the way. :)

Cheers for the responses.

I'm currently using a barefaced big one. I'm sure you know what its like -it doesn't have a tweeter but has a 8" midrange speaker and 15" speaker. Any ideas how this would cope with distotion?

Also is there any particular size speaker that deals with it better? Do any sizes/makes sounds better or is it a case of personal taste?

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='701401' date='Jan 5 2010, 11:24 AM']Cheers for the responses.

I'm currently using a barefaced big one. I'm sure you know what its like -it doesn't have a tweeter but has a 8" midrange speaker and 15" speaker. Any ideas how this would cope with distotion?

Also is there any particular size speaker that deals with it better? Do any sizes/makes sounds better or is it a case of personal taste?[/quote]

You'll be fine.

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='701401' date='Jan 5 2010, 11:24 AM']I'm currently using a barefaced big one. I'm sure you know what its like -it doesn't have a tweeter but has a 8" midrange speaker and 15" speaker. Any ideas how this would cope with distotion?[/quote]

I may be confused, and they may have updated the spec, but I thought the Big One DID have a tweeter, and the midrange driver was 6"?? :)

[quote name='Conan' post='701700' date='Jan 5 2010, 03:13 PM']I may be confused, and they may have updated the spec, but I thought the Big One DID have a tweeter, and the midrange driver was 6"?? :)[/quote]

I believe Alex has a design in place to add a tweeter to a Big One - but the original designed Big One is tweeterless. The Midrange unit is a model that can extend up in to the tweeter frequencies - and with a bit of boost from your amp's EQ can do sparkle.

I don't have a Barefaced cab - however - my ISP gear also uses midrange cones instead and a specially designed preamp to produce those sparkly highs associated with tweeters - but none of the harsh top when pushed hard.

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='701345' date='Jan 5 2010, 05:36 AM']Hi all, happy new year!

I'm planning on getting some effects soon. Just wondering what your opinions are on whether there is a better speaker size and configuration to use with distorted/overdriven bass?

Cheers,
Chris.[/quote]
Effects do nothing below 100 Hz while they can destroy tweeters in a heartbeat. The best way to do it is to run a separate small guitar combo amp above the bass rig and run the effects through it only.