Why become a member? ×

One for the Road!

TGEvans

New Year, New Project! Want a four string that will be used day in day out. Trying to think of the most versatile basses in the ranges I will be looking at (Without spending so much money on it that I would be afraid to take it out of the house) Front runners so far are =

G & L JB2 Tribute
G & L L2000 Tribute
Sandberg California JJ
Lalkand 44 02 ( I Think thats the right model)
Spector ReBop

I love G and L basses, hearing good things about the Tributes. Like the Spectors too. Sandberg and Lakland are Wildcards but hoping to try some out in the next few months. A heads up on any of them would be good. At the moment highly tempted by the L2000 Tribute though, for the money they seem great! T

[quote name='TGEvans' post='699330' date='Jan 3 2010, 11:25 AM']New Year, New Project! Want a four string that will be used day in day out. Trying to think of the most versatile basses in the ranges I will be looking at (Without spending so much money on it that I would be afraid to take it out of the house) Front runners so far are =

G & L JB2 Tribute
G & L L2000 Tribute
Sandberg California JJ
Lalkand 44 02 ( I Think thats the right model)
Spector ReBop

I love G and L basses, hearing good things about the Tributes. Like the Spectors too. Sandberg and Lakland are Wildcards but hoping to try some out in the next few months. A heads up on any of them would be good. At the moment highly tempted by the L2000 Tribute though, for the money they seem great! T[/quote]

yep the L2000 is a pretty versatile peice of kit IMO, and looks pretty sweet in the blueburst...

In my view, the best solution is to get a Precision that feels good to play and replace the pickups with something you like to hear. You could even make it active at a later date. Also get straplocks and a good case! You'll be good for the next 40 years!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='700522' date='Jan 4 2010, 03:10 PM']In my view, the best solution is to get a Precision that feels good to play and replace the pickups with something you like to hear. You could even make it active at a later date. Also get straplocks and a good case! You'll be good for the next 40 years![/quote]

That's exactly what I've done. MIA Precision, Wizard Thumper, strap locks and Hiscox case.

It's a bit boring in that it's killed my bass GAS for over a year though!

Im currently playing a G & L L2500 now. Have for about 6 years. Its amazing.I want a four string but If i got an L2000 I might feel that I should have got something different,if that makes sesnse. Owned a warwick thumb in the past too. Not bad,bit of a one trick pony though. But is was good live! Precision could be a possibility too!. Within the next month or two I will be spending some time in Birmingham and London so will have time to try a few out. Down here in South Wales we aint got as much scope as most places.....thanks though guys,t

I'm with chris_b and Low End Bee in that a decent Precision bass just screams workhorse and can be modified easily enough. I love mine. They've been around nearly 60yrs for a reason... I guess looking at your choices though they are not to your tastes if you've ruled them out?

I do like precisions,some of my favourite players use them. But the G&L I have can do a pretty good precision sound. I think so anyway. Just been doing some homework now and the options and finishes that sandberg offer are immense! The basic and bullet shapes seem pretty cool too! Im looking in the £1200 give or take bracket by the look of it.t

I tried a few basses out over the weekend. The results are nearly in.possibly. I tried out the lakland,an older sadowsky and a precision. I honestly felt that my L2500 could get near in enough in tone to most of them. I did however try out a few other spectors. A korean one and a euro through neck! I honestly preferred the sound of the korean one. It had the emg hz's in. Same set up as my old one that I defretted. Still got the sandbergs to try out. Unless they really blow me away i may seriously consider a korean spector or maybe a rebop! the precision was nice though! it was a standard. I tried out a few jazzes too. I preferred the standards to the deluxe also.