Why become a member? ×

Splitting Mono FX channel into frequency ranges

Wolverinebass

I'm not sure whether this should be in FX or Amps forum, but here goes.

Say you have an amp which has a mono FX send/return jack. You want to apply a particular effect (say chorus or distortion) to only the uppermost part of the signal - say above 800Hz - 1kHz and leave the rest unaffected preserving your bass end. Is it possible to do this either by using an EQ module or splitting the mono signal into 2 bits (the uppermost one being affected, the other lower portion being clean) then merging them back into each other to give a mono signal again which has been processed to your specification.

Is this is any way possible? If anyone has any ideas or suggestions they would be most welcome.

As has been said above, you need a cross-over to split the signal between low and high frequencies and a mixing circuit to recreate a mono signal containing the two components.

You may find difficult find a cross over that splits at 800Hz-1kHz. X-overs often split below 200Hz. I think Behringer produces a couple of unit that can go up to 9kHz. They are affordable but they are not small (1U) - you also need a mixer.

If you need a small unit that can do what you are looking send me an email (address on the [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=about"]web site[/url]) - I should be able to help you.

Thanks for the info. I figured I might need a crossover, but where my problem lay is how to merge the 2 signals back into one and keeping it all in mono so it'll all go back into the return section of the FX loop. Whilst this is getting into bi-amping territory in some ways, I'll be doing this with full range speakers so it's not worth doing the change in amplifier system to get what I want.

I've had a look at some of the stuff suggested and I don't think the Boss is what I want. I have the sound I want and can acheive it in cubase by recording 2 channels, but I want to be able to do so live and sadly, I don't need any more effects!! Ha!! :)

The Behringer crossovers seem something like what I'm looking for but they're XLR ins and outs and I'd prefer 1/4 inch sockets just for ease of use.

Small would be good, so that I don't have to cart about 300 million feet of wires with me.

What ideally I want is the crossovers which you get in the bass pod. Where you can set the Modulation and Delay crossovers, but keep the signal in mono. Yes, I have one, but I'd be attempting to do the same thing with a different fx device which doesn't have this function.

If anyone has any more ideas, I'd be very grateful.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='697222' date='Dec 31 2009, 02:51 PM']A mini mixer will put the signal back together. I have one that is large pedal sized made by Monacor.[/quote]

Ahh, I see. You've got the MMX-31? Seems like a plan as it doesn't need any power. Or are you using the MMX-4?

Still, have to find a decent crossover or see if there is any way to combine both devices like Silent Fly suggests. Thanks for the advice!! :)

Boss LS2 and GEB7. You set the pedal to A+B which is parallel. One loop you connect directly to itself, the other you put your GEB7 before your chorus and pull out all the low-end. There you have a splitter and mixer together and two parallel loops so effectively a blendable FX loop, and use the GEB as your cross-over.

Dan