Why become a member? ×

Bassmutes...

karlthebassist

I was reading through The Burpster's thread and about to add a little comment on the bottom and found it had been locked.

Mmmm....

Well what I was going to ask was, has anyone any examples of recordings (meaning records put out by artists, famous tracks etc) where bass mutes like the ones mentioned in The Burpster's thread have been used?

It's just I'm a little curious as to how the tone would sit in the mix.

I have a '95 Stingray, and at this point they had stopped fitting the basses with mutes from factory and instead the holes were filled by capscrews and the mutes availiable for purchase seperately. Apparently becasue people where injuring themselves on them? Don't know how true that is... But I would be interested in finding a set and trying them if the musical application would suit one of the genres of music I play.

Karl

Likewise.

Burpster - I didn't think anyone was having a go as such, and if you can justify buying a PRS bass then you have no difficulty justifying a £100+ addition to it. It's only your money, and not up to anyone else to hassle over what you do with it. Besides, how many would spend that on a different pair of pickups, or trying a different set of valves in their amp?

I did like the way other guys suggested budget alternatives, and I'm sure that a manufacturer like GFS could create a cost effective korean alternative. The thing is, you paid for a tool that you find useful, is well made and that you were pleased enough to post about. Legitimi non carborundum: their parents were likely married, but don't let it grind you down anyway.

And you've made me want to try it now too - thankyou.

I think it's just that time of the month for dear ol' Burpster.

Personally, while I don't use mutes, and hardly use muting for the songs I play, I think it looked like a proper quality bit of kit with its individual mutes and what looked to be a spring based tensioner to keep the mutes in place when you're playing the string, and I can see how it would be awesome in sets where you need to flick between sounds depending on the songs. I could even see it being handy mid song, muted verse and unmuted chorus perhaps.

Starting a thread and then closing it because you don't like the responses?

Must be nice to be a moderator eh :)

Interesting product and I'd like to hear one, can anyone produce some sound samples?

I never damp my strings when playing, other than to stop them ringing out of course.

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='Buzz' post='695821' date='Dec 29 2009, 06:47 PM']I think it's just that time of the month for dear ol' Burpster.[/quote]

OK I apologise..... I'll get meself down the chemist and get me some lilets........ :)

As to the alteration of tone, the beauty of these is that the amount the rubbers damp the strings can be tuned. There is also 2 settings on the cam lever so you can increase it if its not enough at setting one.

On mine with flats the 1st position just dulls down the sustain, the 2nd dulling it to an EUB like thud, which for 12bar blues is excellent.

If I had more time at the mo I rceord a few bits and put them on as MP3s.

Now Ignorance often being my middle name..

I've never ever even seen these before. I can see how they would be useful especially if you can mute just a single string??
I often play ghost notes and i presume this is sort of what it does, which means you could mute a string enough to ghost and just play away on the others and then switch back during a verse or something?? (I'm guessing but may be missing the boat)

Also when recording or double tracking you could just mute rather than drop in.. Hmmm I like it.

Mr Burpster, being that you are just down the road I would be interested in taking a look at this.