Why become a member? ×

Ive been offered a chinese double bass

Stu-khag

hey guys,
a friend has offered to sell me a double bass for £250 in a soft case plus a pickup for £100. I havent seen it yet so will be having a look in the next few days. all I know about it is that its chinese. Are there any issues I should look out for, the fact that its chinese?I guess most low priced instruments made these days are chinese but it still makes me a little worried. Ive been reading some of the other threads here mentioning the sound post and checking to see if there are any splits but is there anything else that can be a concern?

cheers jake for the reply.
He paid around 450 for it new plus the cost of the soft case. I think the pick up was around 150 to 200. Im going to see it so will find out exactly what it is and maybe take a few pics. I figured for that price it should be worth a punt providing its all okay.
Just clicked on your sig myspace site. Yamit Mamo- helluva voice. We've filmed a bit with her in work on doctor who confidential

Depends on what you want to do with it.
If it's a first step into upright playing then £200-250 might be an ok investment as you might be able to sell it on for about that, or trade for an upgrade.
Is it all laminate?, as that will affect the sound/tone/projection.
A pickup will not improve the sound quality of a bass, it will just amplify the existing tone, so £100 for a pickup is ok depending on the pickup make and the build quality of the bass.
My first DB (18 months ago) was a chinese all laminate, which was fine in my house whilst I got my "chops" together and found out if it was for me or not, but when I started gigging with it is was a pain to get a decent sound through any PA. Tried mics/pickups.
Bought a EUB and am very happy and get work on the back of it. Next step will be a decent acoustic DB.
Having said that I would recommend anyone to have a go at an upright as they are great fun, and in my experence, I've found my electric playing has improved as a result........(not that that was difficult!!)
As last post pointed out, chinese doesn't always mean rubbish. Have you played it, do you like the sound?

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='695629' date='Dec 29 2009, 02:49 PM']cheers jake for the reply.
He paid around 450 for it new plus the cost of the soft case. I think the pick up was around 150 to 200. Im going to see it so will find out exactly what it is and maybe take a few pics. I figured for that price it should be worth a punt providing its all okay.
Just clicked on your sig myspace site. Yamit Mamo- helluva voice. We've filmed a bit with her in work on doctor who confidential[/quote]

Hi Stu,
sounds like it could be ok for a go at it. You might struggle with gigging tho. it all depends on a bunch of factors.
Thanks for the kind words about Yamit, it's my favourite project, I am her live band MD. I knew she had done Dr Who, it's been great for her. She's one hell of a songwriter too.
And to top it all, I'm a Cardiffian originally :)
Let us know how you get on mate.
Jake

cheers for all the advice.
I went to see it today and had a bit of a noodle. It's the first time Ive ever played one and really enjoyed it. I'd say its all laminate as it wasn't really really loud although that may have been something to do with my technique! the guy who is selling it bought it in april for £450 new so there isn't a mark on it. He's giving me the bow as well although I didnt really look at it. He's selling it as he's off to japan for a year or two. the colour is a bit red/gaudy looking so I'm hoping this is something that may age a bit? Im thinking it'll be ideal to start with and if I catch the bug or it doesn't work out I cant see me losing any money on it.

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='695591' date='Dec 29 2009, 02:04 PM']hey guys,
a friend has offered to sell me a double bass for £250 in a soft case plus a pickup for £100. I havent seen it yet so will be having a look in the next few days.[/quote]

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. If however you have your heart set on it take someone experienced with you that can make an informed judgment.. In fairness I started on a £300 plywood. I spent the same amount again to get it playable. In the end you will almost certainly trade up so why waste money on cheaply made gear. Realistically I think you should be looking to spend around £1200 to get something decent. As for chinese made basses there is a lot of 'crap ' out there. There are some real bargains too. eg Samuel Shen makes very good basses at affordable prices. If you could rent one while you try to save for something decent. Good luck in your quest.

I would say you should grab it fast if you are interested on db.

Do not listen to snobbery on Chinese instruments, they have being making string instruments way before Europeans had seen one.

Cheap instruments are cheap instruments regardless of origin.Some actually use good materials but lack on finishing detail...and probably will not last 100 years.

I got my db a few months ago - £350 laminate back and sides with solid top / with bow and bag - which leaves some cash for decent strings and other bits.

What you probably need is a setup, just like any of the more expensive instruments, to make it playable to your liking:

- get a good set of strings like spirocores or helicores for immediate tone improvement.Choose a light gauge if you have tender fingers.
- set string height at nut to business card thickness (use some round needle files remove material slowly checking often)
- make sure the bridge is in the correct place ( lay the bass on his back and don't relax the strings too much or the soundpost inside can fall)
- if the soundpost falls, get some barbecue forks to retrieve it and place it again :) Patience is a virtue!!
- lightly wet sand down any bumps on the fingerboard (black stain dust can cause a mess)
- check the feet of the bridge make good contact with the bass top, sand a bit if necessary

There are plenty of resources on the net that explain these steps - prepare before action.

If you have access to a luthier and have some money to spare take it there for a more thorough examination, but is probably not worth if you take care of the instrument.

This should be more than enough for you to get a good sound without killing your hands. With the pickup (i am still researching for the one that will suit me) you can record yourself easy if you have the chance.Get a practise mute before your neighbours knock on the door during your bow "jam session" it can get quite loud.

I love the low frequency making the all house vibrate.Have FUN. :rolleyes:

Hi, andyjingram

The Deluxe 3/4 Solid Top on Gear4Music UK. It was around £450 originally but I got it with summer sale discount. It stands now at around £400.

The Archer at £720 seems like a option also with the flame maple finish.Seems to be a carved back and belly, with laminated sides.

These are beginner basses but as stated before, you realy need to set them up for playing.

As example on my original bridge the strings were out of the fingerboard average 20mm !! granted no buzz.... :)

My spirocores are set now to 6,7,8,9 mm G to E. There is a buzz playing E in the A string near the neck joint - next weekend will be planning/sanding the fingerboard bump a bit. Just need to make sure I get the correct finish first to restore the neck ebony look.

Since I have been repairing the odd guitar as an hobby I knew what to expect, but can be daunting/painfull for a absolute beginner.

It is starting to open the sound a bit, specially after bowing before pizzicato. It is strange but pleasant.I wonder if the strings warm up and the wood flexes and everything sounds more flexible/loose, if you know what I mean...

I can't remember where I heard this but I read somewhere that the so called 'carved' front and back tables on some chinese basses are actually pressed and steamed. Anyone who knows anything about wood knows that trees take a long time to take on their new role (ie being a bass) so those basses are very likely to try to return to their former shape. With that in mind if you're looking at a 'carved' bass make sure it is just that.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought....my 60 year old, `no name`, German `blond` 3/4 bass looks lovely and plays with a full rich tone using Helicores, pizz and arco....and it`s a full laminate! Yes it`s been lovingly set up and cared for, but they sometimes come on to the market quite cheaply (and they seem to be bomb proof.) So don`t dismiss laminates out of hand, there are some beauties out there.
Good luck.

[quote name='saxobass' post='725618' date='Jan 26 2010, 07:30 PM']So don`t dismiss laminates out of hand, there are some beauties out there.
Good luck.[/quote]

I agree totally. there are some really good playable Laminates out there. A well set up laminate is better than a poorly set up hybrid or carved. You are more likely to get a playable laminate in the 'cheap' end of the market. BTW I have nothing against chinese basses. I own one myself and it is a great bass. I am aware however that e bay is littered with cheap chinese basses that have been bought by newbies to the DB only to find the instrument falling apart .As I've already said take someone that is experienced with you when auditioning a new bass ... you could save yourself some money in the long run.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='699109' date='Jan 2 2010, 10:35 PM']I can't remember where I heard this but I read somewhere that the so called 'carved' front and back tables on some chinese basses are actually pressed and steamed. Anyone who knows anything about wood knows that trees take a long time to take on their new role (ie being a bass) so those basses are very likely to try to return to their former shape. With that in mind if you're looking at a 'carved' bass make sure it is just that.[/quote]
Blimey! They're getting quite cheeky with the descriptions these days, but you have to admit it's quite clever. That asides, plenty of 'old' basses have to be heated and pressed [i]back[/i] into shape because the front's been flattened, so it could work quite well if they do it right (as anyone with a set of Thonet bentwood chairs will vouch for :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this bass up last night.
Had some great fun with it but then had to pack it up and leave it at my friends house as Im about to move house and havent got the room just yet :)
Fingers crossed this bass will lead on to great things and inspire me to get playing out there again

To be honest, if you're just starting on the instrument, I wouldn't worry too much. Just buy something that's cheap and just "playable" and allows you to learn your fingerings.

After a year or so, you will have sufficient experience to buy a "proper" bass. You can resell your old bass for the same price.

I think the sweet spot in term of value for money is probably around £1K/£1.5K

For that price you can get a carved or semi carved chinese bass. Add £100 for a set of spiros or helicore, £200 for a set-up (shooting the fingerboard, sound post adjustment, maybe replacing the nut or the tailpiece) and you're sorted.

My first bass was an absolute dog, that I bought for £200. I resold it with a profit 2 years after when I got my current bass (carved, Korean).