Why become a member? ×

It's All In The Look

J3ster

Having trawled a certain site looking for a Bass in the past, I am amazed at how often i think.
'Now that looks nice' -- and click away.

But lets face it there are so many nice looking Basses out there and not all of them good. (Oh I know this is personal preferences too) So why do lots of us buy before we try.

I got caught out with a fretless once it had a slightly warped neck and some fool had cut down the nut, but did it look hot and once i got those bits sorted it was still a lump of bad 4x2!!!
lesson learned? Oh no I still look and buy.
But it gets worse, It's not even as if we can try a Bass and buy exactly the same model because they too can vary..

Please make me feel better with some of your own horror stories!!!!

For me the single most important thing in a bass is....looks.

I know that makes me shallow but let's face it, I am not going to even pick up an ugly bass to try it out. However I am reasonably semi confidant in doing my own set ups and although never perfect, I have bought many a dog and made it at least playable.

So no actual horror story...but sympathy. I am sure one day I will buy something that can't be fixed!

P.

I had an Overwater made when I was doing session bits years ago that looked and sounded awesome, but have purchased lots of Basses in between because I wanted to, sometimes regretting this.

I am currently having two Basses made one all white one all black so looks are important, but I have chosen the wood and pre-amps etc for there sound as well as looks, but not every Bass I buy can be custom made. (unfortunetly)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='690816' date='Dec 21 2009, 05:18 PM']Not at all. Ultimately you're going to have to wear it, and when you wear it crowds of people will be staring at you, so what it looks like is going to be important.[/quote]

Or in my case it has to look good in the full length mirror in the bedroom.

I'm 39 you know.

[quote name='paul h' post='690797' date='Dec 21 2009, 05:04 PM']For me the single most important thing in a bass is....looks.[/quote]

I think this is true for most of us, just in terms of what makes us take something off the wall in the shop. I personally wouldn't touch a BC Rich bass even if it was set up beautifully and played like a dream. Equally I am sure there are people who feel like this about Fender. Obviously to counter balance this I wouldn't buy a bass if it played badly or didn't feel right but certainly the initial attraction is down to looks.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='690829' date='Dec 21 2009, 06:31 PM']I think this is true for most of us, just in terms of what makes us take something off the wall in the shop. I personally wouldn't touch a BC Rich bass even if it was set up beautifully and played like a dream. Equally I am sure there are people who feel like this about Fender. Obviously to counter balance this I wouldn't buy a bass if it played badly or didn't feel right but certainly the initial attraction is down to looks.[/quote]

Spot on. It's the same thing as the first girlfriend or boyfriend that you don't know yet. You wouldn't think "I'll go and talk to her, she looks like she might have a nice personality" It's down to initial visual appeal. Although, from time to time I have borrowed a mates bass that I wouldn't give house room to due to looks and been seriously impressed afterwards.