Why become a member? ×

How much to replace an ebony fretlss fingerboard

SimBass

Last night I changed the strings on my Warwick Streamer LX 6 String Broad Neck Fretless. And I noticed that the string wear on the fingerboard is getting a little more noticeable than I would like.
Anybody know how much it would be to replace the (unlined) ebony finger board? And any recommendations on where to get it done (around Lincolnshire and S. Yorkshire)...or further afield.
It's got some life left in it yet but many years ago I made the decision that the tone from roundwound strings was worth damaging the finger board compared to the flat wound tone and I think that 2010 may be the year for this job? (its a 15 year old bass so its done well as my main bass for many a year).
It's a 34 inch scale with 24 unmarked frets (55mm at nut, 84mm at 12th fret)
[url="http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=14440&cl=EN#"]Warwick Website[/url]
Cheers

It can probably be "dressed" a few more times before you run out of wood. Take it to a good luthier - don't know your part of the world but Jon Shuker and Jim Fleeting spring to mind, or our very own bass doctor- have a look at the list.

I'd expect to pay £250 upwards for a "pro" job, but most of that would be labour for getting the old board off safely and tidying up. People often talk as if ebony blanks cost big ££...but they don't.

[quote name='BassBod' post='687107' date='Dec 17 2009, 10:43 AM']It can probably be "dressed" a few more times before you run out of wood. Take it to a good luthier - don't know your part of the world but Jon Shuker and Jim Fleeting spring to mind, or our very own bass doctor- have a look at the list.

I'd expect to pay £250 upwards for a "pro" job, but most of that would be labour for getting the old board off safely and tidying up. People often talk as if ebony blanks cost big ££...but they don't.[/quote]

+1, dress it a few times first. My Jazz has been done a couple of times and each time it's been like playing a new board

C

PS keep it in BC and take it to the Doc :)

I went through a lot of strings trying different flat/half wounds...I just never got the tone I was after...Thomastik Infeld were the closest but cost twice my preferred round-wounds.
I don't get a bass to look at it, I get it for a great sound and I'm happy to spend the extra on refinish/repair than have a sound I'm not happy with. So been there and all been decided that I'm happy to keep my round-wounds.

Also I don't want a coat, I really like the natural ebony wood so I'll stick with that.

As for skimming...I'll be honest I didn't know that was an option...but I think that should definitely be what I need. Its not actually a damaged finger board in any other way, it's just got a lot of string wear. So that must the best option.

How much for a skim Doc?

This is the board thickness (but wider due to 6 string)
[attachment=38462:12151500...MHOBW_04.jpg]

Edited by SimBass