Why become a member? ×

Derek Smalls Double Neck Dollar Sign Bass - Anyone know what make it was?

coffee_king

Hey All
Anyone know who made / what brand Derek Smalls Double Neck Dollar Sign Bass was from Return Of Spinal Tap?

I'm looking for a double necker (obviously there's no way I'm ever gonna find this one), but it just got me wondering abot the above.
There is little to no info online about it.
Any ideas on any double neck bass ideas too? I mean with 2 basses on it, I dont want one thats part normal 6 string guitar.

cheers
Shippo

[quote name='BigRedX' post='685748' date='Dec 15 2009, 09:33 PM']What do you want your two necks for?

Fretted and fretless? 4- and 8-string? different tunings?

The two necks on that Tobias look the same so I'd assuming it's either different tunings although knowing Spinal Tap it could just be for the pose![/quote]
Because they look awesome and I've always wanted one.
4 and 8 would be the best option otherwise 4 and 4 tuned differently.

cheers
Shippo

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='686049' date='Dec 16 2009, 08:49 AM']Basslab in Germany offer pretty much the only double neck I'd buy as they use composite construction so it only weighs as much as a normal bass:[/quote]

I guess your definition of "a normal bass" differs from mine ... their 5-string double-neck weighs roughly 13lbs.

From where I sit, that's two-and-a-bit Hofners or one-and-a-half Goodfellows. :)