Why become a member? ×

Am I being too cynical

thunderbird13

Twice this week when I've been browsing gumtree I've seen 2 differnt basses,sold by 2 different private sellers both advertised as brand new and both with their original cardboard boxes. What I cant understand is why would anyone buy a new bass and then sell it privately - surely if it wasnt right you could return it back to the shop for a refund. My cynical nature assumes that it must be dodgy and therefore to avoid - am I right or an I missing out on pototential bargains ?

I guess there are a number of ways that someone could honestly and genuinely have "as new" instruments in their possession and want to sell them privately.... but, I too am rather cynical - especially as sometimes the written description of the gear does not sound like it was written by someone who knows what they are talking about. That really sets my alarm bells ringing, although I suppose they could be selling it for a friend or something?!

Better safe than sorry I suppose!

I think there are genuine examples of unwanted gifts and certainly examples of GAS - I am amazed at the sheer volume of gear that is sold on (here even) which is a few weeks or months old and has seen little more than home use.

However I think when dealing with anything other than a face to face meeting it is always best to proceed with a bit of caution

Both examples I am thinking about are advertised in Gumtree so I suppose you would go round the sellers house and try it out, but I dont understand why someone would advertise a new boxed Fender Jaguar for 100 quid less than retail price . Unless its been aquired dishonesty or there is a grey market of bankrupt stock finding its way into private hands . Its more the moral thing I'm worried about since I dont really want to buy stolen goods

If I'm after something substantial & see it on Ebay, I try to get one relatively local to me so I can go & inspect & pay cash.

I've only once turned something down. It was an Antoria Les Paul which the seller described as 'in good condition'.

When I got there (60 miles round trip) it was obvious that the thing had been immersed in water for a significant amount of time & I refused it.

He was peeved & said he'd come a long way & I agreed that he'd come almost as far as me.

G.