Why become a member? ×

Bass Refinishing

philw

All,

I've just bought myself a used Squire Vintage Modified Precision (my first Precision after 30 years of playing) and I'd love it even more if the body were Lake Placid Blue. So can anybody recommend an outfit in the Brighton area (or a reasonable drive either side) that could refinish it for me? Oh and it'll need a custom white scratch plate?

Phil

[quote name='philw' post='684147' date='Dec 14 2009, 04:34 PM']All,

I've just bought myself a used Squire Vintage Modified Precision (my first Precision after 30 years of playing) and I'd love it even more if the body were Lake Placid Blue. So can anybody recommend an outfit in the Brighton area (or a reasonable drive either side) that could refinish it for me? Oh and it'll need a custom white scratch plate?

Phil[/quote]

Hi Phil
I can understand the LPB love :) If it's a keeper take it to Martin Simms, between Tenterdon and Ashford in East Sussex/Kent. It'll cost a bob or two but the work will be outstanding, which, if you want LPB and not a poor impression, you're probably gonna need.
Chris
PS please don't ask, I don't have a car at the moment, possibly Friday!

[quote name='Beedster' post='684153' date='Dec 14 2009, 04:41 PM']Hi Phil
I can understand the LPB love :) If it's a keeper take it to Martin Simms, between Tenterdon and Ashford in East Sussex/Kent. It'll cost a bob or two but the work will be outstanding, which, if you want LPB and not a poor impression, you're probably gonna need.
Chris
PS please don't ask, I don't have a car at the moment, possibly Friday![/quote]

I would echo the Martin Sims recommendation. I've had him do a couple of things in the past, including a complete refinish.
Excellent results and service on each occasion. He used to, not sure if he still does, offer a very reasonable pick up and return service too.

Edited by Nick Brown

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='684270' date='Dec 14 2009, 06:21 PM']Has anyone got a rough ballpark figure for Martin Sims to do a respray on a P-bass? Sorry to highjack Phil (although I'm sure you are interested too) but I'm in a similar position.[/quote]

I paid £300 for the most amazing 3TSB, and I mean amazing, given that the body was originally a '77 solid colour and had pretty crap grain and knots. Martin is a craftsman in the true sense and I can't recommend him enough. Pic below taken on a phone camera in poor light with a grubby bass!

[attachment=38318:CIMG0032.JPG]

Chris

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='684366' date='Dec 14 2009, 07:42 PM']Thanks Chris - I'd thought it'd be about £250+ so that could be manageable. I'd want a block colour ala philw's original post[/quote]

I asked him for a colour job just the other day and without having to take the bass back to wood, is around £275 he said.

So that price is for a solid colour. The workshop is worth a visit to see what else he does...which is a lot, IMO. Anything to finish the bass off, he'll be able to do.

I suspect you will get an excellent job.