Why become a member? ×

Pickups for a Jazz

Pixel Pirate

Not been on here in a while, so i thought id kick off again with a question.

Im looking to replace the pickups in my jazz, looking for something alot more aggressive and dirty. I believe the pickups in my bass currently are wizard 64's.
Anyone had any experience trying to find the same sort of thing? Any suggestions?

Muchly appreciated!

Edited by Pixel Pirate

JoeGarcia had a set of Wizard Hammers, i think they're hotter than the 64s

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=65314&hl=wizard"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...4&hl=wizard[/url]

Btw, if you're selling the Wizard 64s how much would you want for them? I was looking at Joe Garcia's but would have preferred the 64s for my fretless

Hmmm... do you really want hotter.. as that implies fatter.,..which isn't the same for me as dirty.
I'd talk to someone Kent/Aaron Armstrong who could make you anything you want, pretty much,

If I want character out of a pickup, I don't want masses of winds, so if that is your definition of hot, then talk to the man..IME..

Here's the garb on the Wizard website about the Hammers:

"Struggling to get that dark crunchy tone you've always wanted? Lacking that oomph to get you over the line? Look no further, Hammers are loud dark and dirty, yet retain conventional construction - handwound, Alnico 5 magnets and attention to detail."

I remember looking at them but thinking they wouldn't be suitable for my fretless

"Loud, dark and dirty" - sounds like they'll do the job!

I've just removed the Seymour Duncans from my bass a quarter pounder SJB-3n Neck and SJB-1b Vintage Bridge. I liked the bridge it is more traditional but the Quarterpounder is very aggressive and I wasn't very keen on the sound. I've put in a set of MECs they seem more rounded. Might be able to do a deal for you