Why become a member? ×

High C 5 String

cLepto-bass

For what it's worth I bought a 5 string from the gallery a few months back and asked whether I could restring to a high C without a new nut and the bass was duly restrung for me. No nut change at all.

This said I'm sure the guage of strings will matter also. And possibly your playing style - I find that when I play acoustically there's a slight rattle (I do tend to play hard) on the A string that definitely is down to the nut as if I dampen the machine head side it's fine. But not noticed the same problem with any other strings and seems fine when amplified (i.e. I probably play a little lighter :)).

So what I'm saying is, you may not require a new nut, but you might :rolleyes: Sorry, maybe not much help in the end.

Depends on many of the factors people have already mentioned.
For example, Warwick Just-a-nut IIs have the same sized grooves in all of the adjusters, and will accomodate any gauges without protest IME.
I've strung/tuned my Stingray V fretless EADGC. I've used 30-50-70-90-105 on it without issues.
You will, of course, have to look at action, intonation and neck relief.
IIRC, a High C string exerts more stress on the neck than the Low B it replaces, so your truss-rod may need a [i]slight tighten[/i] to compensate...
As with all set-ups, it's a bit "suck it & see" until you arrive at something which suits you.

Hi,
I bought a Gibson Thunderbird Studio V. When I got it, I didn´t like the whole low B thing, found it too deep and dark sounding for the stuff I play with the bands.
So I decided I´d restring it and go with a High C instead. Asked the tech if I´d need a new nut/where do i get a Hich C string?- and he kinda laughed and said get a set of D´Addario 6 string bass and only use the first 5.
He was bang on-no messing with the nut required.
Didn´t need any real tweakng of the truss rod either- was pretty much ready to go straight away (though he did set it up anyway after that)
Hope that helps

Edited by basshead56