Why become a member? ×

My Bass and Other Animals

Musky

Clearly some people here have, as it's now doing the rounds as part of the Basschat library, courtesey of elom.

For those that have read it, I was just wondering if Guy Pratt had anything interesting to say about a Status Matrix prototype he once had? Or mentioned it at all. I'm sure he must have had some input into it's design.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' post='74310' date='Oct 14 2007, 10:32 PM']Clearly some people here have, as it's now doing the rounds as part of the Basschat library, courtesey of elom.

For those that have read it, I was just wondering if Guy Pratt had anything interesting to say about a Status Matrix prototype he once had? Or mentioned it at all. I'm sure he must have had some input into it's design.[/quote]

I've read it too having brought that and Horace Panter's auto biog of the Specials after hearing both on Jonathan Ross a few weeks ago.

Like Stingrayfan, thought it was an ok read but not the greatest band biog in the world. Think the live show may have been better.

Horace Panter's "Ska'd for Life" is a much more relevant book for me having grown up in that era and loved the mod/ska scene. Interesting insight into the personal and emotional fragility of the band during the Ska explosion of 79-81.

T

Haven't read the book, but I have seen his live show on the theme. Can't imagine it without the soundtrack, actually - such as his p-take of [i]Smoke On The Water[/i]. Does the book include the story of how he got the Pink Floyd gig? Bassists are two-a-penny, but not everyone can scream out [i]Run Like Hell[/i] quite the same way... :)

Unfortunately for us bass players, he keeps the info on the gear he's used to the last chapter, as he didn't want to put non-muso's off, and this is probably less detailed than most of us would like.

However, I have to say I enjoyed this book so much that I'm reading it again. Humorous high point for me was the Womack & Womack gig, but there's plenty of other great stuff along the way.

[quote name='tonyf' post='74353' date='Oct 14 2007, 11:56 PM']Horace Panter's "Ska'd for Life" is a much more relevant book for me having grown up in that era and loved the mod/ska scene. Interesting insight into the personal and emotional fragility of the band during the Ska explosion of 79-81.[/quote]Hey Tony,
They were my years too... ah, the ol' loafers and harrington and pork pie hat..! you'd recommend Horace's book then?