Why become a member? ×

How do i get that sound

silentbob

If it's any help apparently he recorded the black album with a vintage Ampeg 810 and SVT for his main tone, supplemented by an Ampeg 1x18 for lows, and a Marshall guitar cabinet with a Trace Elliot head for the mid/highs. (plus the alembics obviously :) )

Common consensus with our american counterparts over at TB seems to say jazz bass, sansamp and a pick though.

Hope that helps. Tbh, I think "Jazz bass, sansamp, pick" is probably your best option :rolleyes:

I seem to recall, in an interview, that most of the Black Album was recorded fairly simply with an old P-bass and an 80s Spector 4-string, through the aforementioned roomful of Ampeg gear. A 5-string was involved on a couple of tunes, which, if I remember right, was one of his Alembics.

Edited by Russ

nothing else matters was done with a fretless stingray, a lot of the other tracks he used the Spector (wherever i may roam, enter sandman, holier than thou), alongside his Alembics.
Jason started using the Sadowskys towards the load and reload era.

Jason was one of the reasons for me starting to play bass and i craved that sound for years. Then realized it would cost a hell of a lot of money to get it!

The Jazz with some EQ scooping can get close to this. I found that when i got closer to this kind of tone, it was getting a little lost in the mix, i guess you need Metallicas sound engineers as well to make it work.