Why become a member? ×

"Departure" First gig...

GremlinAndy

As a return favour for allowing us to rehearse at the Eastwood View WMC in Rotherham we, "Departure" have agreed to do our first gig there.

So if you're in the South Yorkshire area on Sat 12th Dec we will be performing.

You'll probably have to be an old fart to be interested in Journey songs ...and the ticket fee is £5 on the door or £3 in advance from the club,
(I have some too if anyone *was* interested in hearing my Schroeder rig of doom, marred by my bad playing... :) )

It'd be great to see you there. So come and introduce yourself if you do come!

...and may God bless all who sail on her! Andy

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!! What a fantastic night! The turnout was really good! We filled a 475 seater almost to capacity! The club said that's the best takings they've had over the bar in 10 years! (probably explains why everyone had a good time, and better than we deserve actually :) )

All in all a great debut for us, ...and I couldn't have enjoyed my first stint on stage after a 16 year siesta more!

Edited by GremlinAndy

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='672086' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:43 PM']As a return favour for allowing us to rehearse at the Eastwood View WMC in Rotherham we, "Departure" have agreed to do our first gig there.

So if you're in the South Yorkshire area on Sat 12th Dec we will be performing.

You'll probably have to be an old fart to be interested in Journey songs ...and the ticket fee is £5 on the door or £3 in advance from the club,
(I have some too if anyone *was* interested in hearing my Schroeder rig of doom, marred by my bad playing... :) )

It'd be great to see you there. So come and introduce yourself if you do come!

...and may God bless all who sail on her! Andy[/quote]

Love Journey.

The band name is not to original though.

Check out these guys?

[url="http://www.myspace.com/departureband"]Visit My Website[/url]

[quote name='steantval' post='696357' date='Dec 30 2009, 02:35 PM']The band name is not to original though.

Check out these guys?

[url="http://www.myspace.com/departureband"]Visit My Website[/url][/quote]

Yeah, but they're in the US and never likely to tour here.... :)

There are at least two other KISS tributes with the same name as my band in the States as well....

Thing is, I'm an old school dude. Before the internet it was possible to be called the same name as *many* club-cover bands, even in the UK. It was unlikely you would ever cross paths with a band from down London way, if you were from, say, ...Sheffield (as I am). But then the internet comes along, and everyone can see the other bands, and it's like they own the name. Well *FECK THAT!* We're just tribute acts, in different continents... Neither one of us are gonna *make it big* so I reckon that we'll not be confused with the US based band... We're not trying to sell ourselves in a big internet based promotional experience...
If someone were to turn up to one of our gigs expecting those guys, I'd be *very* surprised, and would laugh my tats off at them. :)

and finally, to be honest, we didn't know about the other guys when we decided on the name. A quick search of the internet only showed a UK based, original pop boy-band type thing... but we rehearsed for 3 years waiting to get a full line up... and we stuck with the name, cos we were used to it...

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='696891' date='Dec 31 2009, 01:24 AM']Thing is, I'm an old school dude. Before the internet it was possible to be called the same name as *many* club-cover bands, even in the UK. It was unlikely you would ever cross paths with a band from down London way, if you were from, say, ...Sheffield (as I am). But then the internet comes along, and everyone can see the other bands, and it's like they own the name. Well *FECK THAT!* We're just tribute acts, in different continents... Neither one of us are gonna *make it big* so I reckon that we'll not be confused with the US based band... We're not trying to sell ourselves in a big internet based promotional experience...
If someone were to turn up to one of our gigs expecting those guys, I'd be *very* surprised, and would laugh my tats off at them. :rolleyes:

and finally, to be honest, we didn't know about the other guys when we decided on the name. A quick search of the internet only showed a UK based, original pop boy-band type thing... but we rehearsed for 3 years waiting to get a full line up... and we stuck with the name, cos we were used to it...[/quote]

Oh sh*t, I better cancel my flight tickets from the States..........Steve Perry :)

Edited by steantval

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='697199' date='Dec 31 2009, 02:05 PM']How did the 'rig' sound Andy and just out of interest, what bass or basses were used? :)[/quote]
Hi buddy
I used the thumb bass. and the rig was erm. **LOUD** and tight. But do you know what, I haven't managed to get the growl I got at your house on that Thunderfunk through the 8x10. I can't understand it... I even bought the black streamer that I was playing that day. Sell me your Thunderfunk buddy! I need to find out if that's the missing element.

[quote name='steantval' post='698415' date='Jan 1 2010, 10:10 PM']Oh sh*t, I better cancel my flight tickets from the States..........Steve Perry :)[/quote]

Hi Steve. I'll put the pot on if you're popping over buddy! Maybe I can convince you to do a few gigs with us? lol

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='698529' date='Jan 2 2010, 03:33 AM']Hi Steve. I'll put the pot on if you're popping over buddy! Maybe I can convince you to do a few gigs with us? lol[/quote]

Hi,

Joking apart.

If you are playing any gigs further south I will try to be at the gigs.

Tried to get a Journey tribute together a couple of years back, quality musicians all in place but just could not find a vocalist to do the job.

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='698528' date='Jan 2 2010, 03:32 AM']Hi buddy
I used the thumb bass. and the rig was erm. **LOUD** and tight. But do you know what, I haven't managed to get the growl I got at your house on that Thunderfunk through the 8x10. I can't understand it... I even bought the black streamer that I was playing that day. Sell me your Thunderfunk buddy! I need to find out if that's the missing element.[/quote]

Andy, I trust your tone has plenty of honking mids and a touch of chorus?!?!
Essential for Ross Valory sounds.... :)

[quote name='cetera' post='698738' date='Jan 2 2010, 02:09 PM']Andy, I trust your tone has plenty of honking mids and a touch of chorus?!?!
Essential for Ross Valory sounds.... :)[/quote]
I *did* use a chorus actually, but I'd only received it a coupe of days before the gig so I ended up turning it off cos I'd over-egged it for the gig. it'll be better next time.

Erm re the mids. Yeah. I have a thumb-bass which does the mids very well, and schroeder cabs... so mids are in abundance. I'm just missing the lovely growly natural distored sound I've only ever heard from Jons TF amp...

[quote name='steantval' post='698588' date='Jan 2 2010, 10:41 AM']Hi,

Joking apart.

If you are playing any gigs further south I will try to be at the gigs.

Tried to get a Journey tribute together a couple of years back, quality musicians all in place but just could not find a vocalist to do the job.[/quote]

I'll keep you posted mate!

Yeah getting a full line-up for a Journey band took us 3 years! The singer situation is impossible.

...well almost. We got a singer capable of singing all the songs in the original key, and who sounds GREAT! His voice really soars on those highs... We we're VERY lucky. Glad we held out now.